8

The throne room was the most extraordinary place Ki had ever visited in her life. She thought the council building at home in Air was something, but this place took her breath away. First of all, it was large - unimaginably large. Half of Air could probably fit snuggly in here. Sure, it was an exaggeration, but an appropriate one. It was a long rectangular room with a high ceiling, ornamented with chandeliers and extravagant paintings. The walls and floor were pure marble, pearly white and with the sunlight streaming in from both sides everything seemed to almost sparkle. 

A servant, different from the night before, led Ki and Eldair through the room. Clancy's invitation had not extended that far. 

The throne room was buzzing with excitement and Ki felt anxious because she knew no doubt that her presence was the cause of it. People were standing in groups off to the side, leaving plenty of space for her to walk the endless stretch to meet their majesties. 

"Head held high and don't waiver," Eldair muttered from Ki's left side. She nodded, trying to keep her face still and expressionless, though it proved to be difficult when they finally reached the end of the room where two large thrones, carved from wood, stood on a dais. They were beautifully carved from red wood, swirls ran up the legs and all the way up to the top where wolf heads were carved, in careful detail. However, it wasn't as much the throne chairs themselves which held Ki's attention as much as the two people occupying the seats. 

King Raegar sat on the right, his wife, Queen Marjorie on the left. Both were regarding her with such interested looks, their stares so intense Ki felt like she was being stripped naked. 

"Greetings, your majesties," Eldair spoke loudly, dropping into a low bow. Ki remembered her manners and curtsied, trying to stay balanced, her eyes on the marble floor. 

"Welcome, Eldair of the Four. It is a pleasure to have you at court again," Queen Marjorie said, her high voice ringing clear throughout the room. 

"It is my pleasure to be back, my queen," he replied. His voice so steady, it made Ki nervous that her own voice would tremble when she would be required to speak to the rulers. She stood up straight and immediately her eyes locked with the king. 

"So," he began and Ki felt her palms starting to sweat. "You must be Kianna Arynn, our new Air Howler." The buzzing that had been when Ki had entered the throne room had disappeared. Everyone was now watching. 

"Yes, sire, your majesty," Ki stumbled over her words, cursing herself in her head. "I am Kianna Arynn." She fell silent, not knowing how to proceed. 

"We are pleased to meet you miss Arynn," Queen Marjorie said, smiling at Ki, yet the smile didn't reach her eyes and instead it made Ki shiver from chills. 

"I am pleased to make your acquaintances your majesties," she said, bowing her head slightly. From the corner of her vision she could see Eldair nod and relief rushed through her, knowing she was doing the proper thing. 

"I suppose you will be travelling to Warrior City before nightfall," King Raegar inquired, his attention back on Eldair, much to Ki's relief. 

"Yes, your majesty. I wish to take Kianna there as soon as time allows it." 

"We'll be looking forward to hearing about your training and progress, miss Arynn. I know our oldest son, Crown Prince Rylan, will be back to continue his training within the month," King Raegar said. 

Well great, Ki thought to herself. Not only would she have to deal with a whole new life, but on top of that she'd be joined by a snotty prince? 

"I am much looking forward to be returning to ankle-deep mud and rusty bunkbeds," a voice drawled from behind Ki. A person walked up to stand next to her. Turning her head she found herself looking at a tall, young man. He was older than her, several years to be correct, probably in his mid-twenties. He had wavy coal black hair tied back with a leather string. His eyes, sapphire blue, sparkling with hidden humor, were looking at her. Her own eyes traveled down to notice his mouth, his full lips, surrounded by a neatly trimmed black beard. As she watched, the mouth broke into a smile, revealing a set of straight teeth.