6

The first day of riding brought them through the Aethori Mountains. They had left Air just past noon, still having enough daylight to get a fair amount of distance between them and the city. They made camp off the side of the road. It seemed that Clancy had packed just about everything; tents, blankets, even some wood to get the first fire started.

Ki crawled into her tent after a light dinner of ham and cheese sandwiches and wrapped herself in the provided blanket. She could hear Eldair and Clancy talk by the fire, but she wanted this first night with only herself for company. It was still hard to digest that her uncle would be by himself now. However, she knew he wouldn't be completely alone – he would probably spend even more time at Chi's Tavern. She hoped he would find himself a job, anything that could support him before his savings ran completely dry and he was left to starve. Despite him not wanting her to speak to Chi, Ki had managed to quickly scribble a few begging words of help on a piece of paper, sealing it in an envelope, which she handed to her neighbor Cleo as they rode out of town.

She was determined not to cry. The whole of Aethorin was now counting on her to be the strong and leading Air Howler. Only once had she dreamt about being marked as a Four Howler. It was back when she was ten and she had first succeed in producing a tornado by herself. Her uncle had given her a nod of approval and Ki had thought how proud Kattar would be if she got marked as a Four. It meant she was one of the best, if not the best Air Howler of her generation. But throughout the years, as her domestic duties grew, her dream slowly faded. She finally fell into a dreamless sleep.

The first rays of sunlight had the three travellers up and about. They faced their first full-length day ride and after a quick oatmeal breakfast with peppermint tea, they were back on the road. Eldair took the lead, with Ki following and Clancy bringing up the rear. There was no traffic on the main road; no other travellers as far as the eye could see, but Eldair said that they would probably experience it when they would hit the crossroads that led south to Fire and east to the capital. He had taken this trip many times now and told them that the estimated arrival time was by nightfall on the day after tomorrow.

The day was spent with Ki, now getting increasingly more interested, listening to Eldair telling his tales from his years of being a Four. They somehow, not surprisingly, seemed more relevant now than before. The time he'd spent as a Four had been relatively quiet, but every now and again they would have their hands full with handling bandits coming in from other lands, sometimes even pirates. He recalled a particular nasty bunch of desert bandits raiding and pillaging the Southern borders. When Ki mentioned her uncle talk about the Shadow Walkers and the dead scouts, Eldair was quiet for a moment. When he spoke his voice was solemn.

"I'm afraid you will be facing a difficult time, young Ki. Evidence of Shadow Walkers being among us again has indeed surfaced, but just how grave this matter is no one knows."

"My uncle mentioned they belonged to King Zagul."

"Yes, your uncle is correct."

"Does that mean King Zagul wants to invade us like he did all those years ago?" King Zagul was a creature of no age. He had been around for longer than humanly possible.

"I am afraid I do not know, child. But these events should not be taken lightly. We have always kept a watchful eye on his land to the north and some do not like these quiet years. They believe he is plotting again. You Four will have your hands full. Mark my words." You Four. Yes. Ki would soon meet the other three Howlers. She felt equally excited and nervous. She had no idea what to expect.

Her interaction with other element Howlers had been limited in her childhood. After Revelation Day, you were free to move out of your city if you wanted to work elsewhere, but many chose to stay, being close to their families. Those who decided to move had good working opportunities, especially if it involved using your gift. Ki had seen Water and Earth Howlers working together on developing new wells. Fire Howlers would be hired to man the kitchens in the larger establishments. They were known for their fiery tempers and Ki always steered clear of them if she spotted one on the streets in Air.