Chapter 1

March 23, 1982

It was a sunny morning in Los Angeles California, the sprinklers were watering the  green cut grass, the low breeze moving the palm trees side to side, and the beautiful house that stood tall and still surrounded by gold and brown gates. It was quiet in the Jackson residence this morning, for all the young adult children were off in the music industry doing their own thing. Well, most of them.

Desiree woke up on a rough start from a loud car engine passing by the house. Leaving her to just look at the ceiling fan for a couple of seconds breathing in a chunk of air. She turns to her night stand to check the time. "Its 10:53..." She whispers to herself then getting back into her original position in her purple queen bed.

3 hours passed and the beautiful morning died into the afternoon. The bright hot sun flashing through her tall window into her dark brown eyes. She then covered the sun with her long fingers squinting her eyes trying to close the blinds, until her mother Katherine came walking into the room not even knocking. "Darling you've been in bed for too long," she says folding some clothes. "Oh it doesn't matter, I don't have anywhere to be." Desiree replies sitting up adjusting her poofy hair.

"Well, since you missed breakfast this morning, now you'll have time for some lunch. So scatter along and get downstairs young lady." She says chuckling to lift Desiree's lazy spirits.

Once she got up zombie walking to her bathroom to do her regular routine, she then heads downstairs with only her pajama shorts, a plain white shirt, and some fluffy pink socks. She hops her long legs down the long wooden path of stairs and she turns some sharp corners to find the big kitchen with the dining room on the other side.

"Look who got up Joseph." Katherine says with her eye brows raised across from the dinning room table. "Mmmhhmm" Joseph mumbles reading the newspaper not even looking up. Desiree quietly sits down across from him knowing her horrid father is in front of her. Lots of evil stuff has happened to the family because of him, and she'll never approve of his apologies.

"So, when do you think you'll ever have the thoughts of moving out?" Katherine says rubbing her thumbs. "Honestly, I really wanna do something like my brothers and sisters." Desiree says smiling showing off her pearly whites. Joseph heard the whole sentence she said and he became furious. "No, you won't." He snaps looking at her straight in the eyes.

The room became silent and Katherine looked at him with a worried look. "Joseph I'm sick of not doing anything with my life! I wanna do something that will show my brothers and sisters that- that I'm as good." She almost yells not looking at him for she is too scared to see his facial expressions that can kill her dreams. "Did you just talk back to me child?.." He says throwing the newspaper on the floor. "Joseph just stop okay? I'm sick of this!" Katherine yells even though Joseph does not care.

"I'm.. I'm gonna go for a walk outside." Desiree says getting up to grab any bright green sweat shirt from the hangar close to the front door and jets out. Katherine left the table to go to the kitchen to do something else rather than sitting with Joseph, leaving him in the dinning room not giving a damn about what he has just done.