Chapter 7

I head down the highway driving across the bridge. Flipping some tunes on, I sink into my thoughts once again.

I'm always thinking about my miserable life. Why do I do this to myself?

--

I drive up to Janet's driveway jumping out of my car. I pound on the door 3 times seeing Janet's husband open it again like last time.

"Shit why are you always here?" He questions letting me in. "I don't wanna talk about it, wheres Janet." I demand putting my bag on the counter.

"She's here actually, out in the backyard. Your in luck." He chuckles sitting back down on the sofa.

I roll my eyes opening the back doors to the huge yard.

It's pure green with some flowers and fountains. I walk around looking for Janet.

"Where the hell is she?" I ask myself steeping over rocks and pebbles. Then I turn a corner to see her crouched down looking at her garden.

I groan heading towards her.
"Hey um, is this a jungle cuz I was on a wild goose chase for the past 10 minutes." I chuckle kneeling down next to her.

"What are you staring at?" I add examining her eyes.
"My life.." She mutters then looking up at me..with tears in her eyes.

My heart stars to sink knowing that she's been crying. "What? Dunk..come here." I said giving her a tight hug.

"Tell me what's going on?" I plead helping her up as we head to a bench not far.

"It's James..my husband." She says wiping a tear. We get to the bench as I put my arms around her shoulders.

"Did he do anything to you? If he did, let me know." I say said rubbing her arm.

"No. He's not doing anything, it's just I honestly don't know why I married him. I don't even love him anymore." She responds looking at the ground.

"You don't? There has to be a reason why you married him. Tell me." I beg glaring at her.

"I think I married him to leave our parents. They gave me this- this thrill to leave home and to get my own place because...Marriage was physically the only way to leave that place". She mumbles as more tears spill.

"And I was only 18 when I got married. Now I'm 19 and I wanna be free agin, I hate this and I'm stuck." She adds covering her face with her hands.

I lift her up wiping her tears with my thumb. "Just leave him.. Just go." I whisper to make sure he doesn't hear.

She weakly chuckles looking at me like I'm dumb. "That will Never work. Our dad will kill me alright? It's not that easy."

"Who fucking cares about our father. Ya know what's embarrassing? That we can't even call him dad. He needs to let go and you my friend, can leave whenever you fucking wanna okay? Get a divorce, he'll have to understand, and you'll be set." I say grabbing both her hands.

Janet weakly smiles with a sniff. "Alright Des, I'll do it.
I wanna leave to be my own person."

"That's my big sis." I laugh as we both get up.

"Aye, your only 2 years younger than me!" Janet adds smacking my butt as we head back to the house.

--

Michaels POV
I sit on the side of my bed staring out the window. I see 3 kids chasing the ball that rolled to our lawn.

I keep watching em as they nervously pick it up knowing that Joseph is rough with the neighbors.

I was like that. That boy right there was me my whole childhood. Always being scared, nervous. I have a few memories of happiness but, hate won mostly.

They scatter out of the scene quick so Joseph doesn't see. "Poor kiddos." I mumble to myself standing up walking closer to the window.

I open it up hearing birds chirping and the sun shining. It goes through my room making it bright.

*riiinnngggg rrriiinnnggg* my telephone on the night stand rung. I walk to it holding the phone up to my ear.

M: hello?

D: hey! Its Des.

M: you nit-wit where did you go now?

D: Dunks,

M: typical.

D: anyways, tell father I'm staying here tonight.

M: ugh, why?

D: I don't know maybe because JOSEPH'S A MANIAC!

M: but that's not fair!

D: what's not?

M: you being at Dunks!

D: then quit being the baby you are, and come over here!

M: okay, okay I'll come. But how am I gonna tell Joseph?

D: easy! "Ya um, imma bounce with the guys for the night peace!"

M: that will never work.

D: JUST DO IT IF YOU LOVE ME!!

M: I DO AND I WILL!
*quickly hangs up*

I stare at the clock in my closet then turning to my dressing room.

--

Joseph's POV
"And then she hit him with a bat just like that!" I laugh flipping the newspaper.

"That's not nice! She needs to go to jail if you ask me." Katherine replies reading a magazine.

I hear loud footsteps trembling downstairs.

"Hey Joseph, and mother. I'm uh, heading out with the boys tonight so I'll come back tomorrow okay? Okay. Bye!" Michael says heading to the door as he speaks with a bag around his shoulder.

"Aye boy! Where's Desiree? She needs to come home." I demand putting the newspaper down.

Michael tries to find words to fill in his lies.

"Oh yea! I'll tell her." He says then running out the door.

I sigh opening back up the newspaper..

A/N
Sorry I didn't update in like years! It's my other accounts I've been focused on! Next one coming up!