Chapter 11

The video to the right is the piece John plays for the concert; you can play it when he begins to play it in the chapter, or whenever you want to!

"Hello?" John's slightly scared voice answered the phone. "Hi Dad. Yeah, I'm good, thank you. How are y-- what? Who told you there was a football game?" He widened his eyes, and looked at me. "Um... hang on Dad, there's someone at the door, be right back--" he pulled the phone away and hid the speaker in his hand.

"Sherlock, what do I do?" He half whispered at me, looking terrified. An idea came into my head almost immediately.

"Tell him it's not on."

"W-what?" He sounded incredulous. He had probably never had lied to his father before.

"Do it. Now!"

"Um--" he brought the phone back up. "Sorry, Dad... um--" he winced, "Dad, it's cancelled. Um, yeah. Yes, it got cancelled. I know, it's such a pain, but-- yeah, yes, okay. I'll see you soon, love you, bye." As soon as he put the phone down, he dropped it, breathed out, and looked at me. He dipped his head down, an for a second I thought he was going to cry, but a low chuckle started to emanate from his drooped head, getting louder and more nervous before he tilted his head up to look at me, still chuckling.

"I'm going to kill you for this."

After spending the entire night awake, as usual, but this time spending it listening to John move restlessly in obvious distress, I decided to confront him about it at breakfast; he completely avoided me,  as when I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, when I came back out less than 5 minutes later he was gone. I strode through the great doors, and saw John sitting on his own, miserably stirring his spoon in his cereal. I ignored the glares and mutters I routinely received, and when I reached John he tiredly lifted his head and nodded.

"John."

"H-hey Sherlock." He stifled a yawn, and stretched.

"What are you going to do about it?"

"About what?"

"Your father."

John gave me a wary look. "What about him?"

"About me telling you to lie to him.."

"Nothing."

I looked at John incredulously.

"John, you can't do nothing. You have to do something. I mean, I'm not an expert in the field of emotions, but I can tell that--"

"You're right, you aren't an expert in the 'field of emotions'!" John interrupted me angrily. "That's why you don't have a say in thi--"

"Damn it, John!" I yelled, and slammed my palm on the table. More than a few people looked up at us. I lowered my voice. "I do have a say in this- I was the one who told you to lie to your father, and I was the one who spent the entire night awake last night, as always, listening to my only friend not sleeping, obviously because he now regrets the decision I made him choose." I finished with a furious glare.

John looked up, from his averted gaze to the ground. "I'm your only friend?"

Oh God.

"Ah... well-- when I said-- uh. Irrelevant."

"No, it's okay Sherlock." John thankfully stopped me from saying some idiotic phraseology. "It's not your fault. It's my fault for feeling so guilty about it and acting like an idiot about it. You only did what you would've done, and I just did it. Anyway, it was probably time I stood up for myself, and not have followed the rules." I nodded in reply. I didn't know what to say; not in the sense that I was dumbfounded; more like I all of a sudden wanted to keep talking to him, but I had no idea how.