Chapter 2- The Hero and the Prince

The staring continued until Ike spoke.

"Hey Marth. Any reason you just ran into me?" he laughed.

"No! I mean yes! Wait I...." I quickly grabbed a punch glass off of the waiter's tray, as he walked past, and kept my attention on drinking the punch. I could hear Rosalina giggling at me. Of course she knew too. As far as Ike knew, he was just my best friend. I intended to keep him thinking that for as long as possible, but when Ike put his big hand on my shoulder, I practically choked on my drink.

"You ok?" he laughed. "You're getting nervous about something.. What's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

I only got more nervous. "W-well I... Um not exactly.. It's just...." I took another sip of punch, then coughed and dropped my cup.

"Will you calm down?" he spoke, patted my back, then looked around and grabbed my wrist. "Do you want to talk to me in private?"

I didn't give him an answer. All I did was stare into his eyes and look foolish.... And teared up from coughing so much. Apparently, he took that as a yes and dragged me back down to the basement. When we arrived, he walked me over to the couch and sat next to me.

"Spill it. What's wrong?" he asked in a caring voice.

I looked at the floor. "D-do I really have to share?"

Ike didn't answer. I began to speak in his place.

"Well... If you must know... I.. I.."

I still stared at the floor, although it was hard to focus on it since tears blocked my vision. I couldn't.. I couldn't say it. Do you know how hard it is to tell your best friend that you're in love with him? I decided to make it a little less obvious.

"I'm... I'm in love, Ike... and it's scary."

Ike scooted closer to me and wrapped his one arm around my shoulders, giving me comfort, but also making my face turn red.

"Believe me- I know. Love is scary, but it's a great feeling. Can you tell me who you have feelings for? Who's the lucky girl?" he asked, smiling at me.

Oh good! He still thinks I'm in love with someone else. Now I have to make something else up..

"Um... It's.. It's Peach.. Yeah, Peach. You know.. The princess.." I laughed nervously.

What the hell is wrong with me?! I'm the worst lier ever!!

"Riiight... Ok. Well, do you want some help talking to her?" he asked in a caring voice, touching his leg against mine.

"N-no.. It's ok. I'd rather have her not know, since she's one of my best friends."

"Ohh... I get it." His voice was low. I could feel his hot breath near my cheek. What was he doing?! Whatever it was, it wasn't funny!

I quickly turned my head to face him. My eyes locked with his.... Big mistake.

I couldn't breath for a few seconds. My mouth was being blocked by something else. But after a little bit, I was free. I saw Ike close to me. He was smiling happily. Then he leaned close to my ear and whispered to me.

"I know that it's me.."

He then pulled back and stood up.

I was obviously in shock, which meant that my brain did not function as quickly as I wanted it to. It took me awhile to comprehend what he just said, but when I figured it out, I was confused.

"W-what? Know what is you?"

He looked down at me, the happy smile fading into a little smirk.

"I know that it's not Peach. You know, the princess." he laughed. "Honestly, you could have came up with a better lie than that. Maybe I would have fell for it then."

He walked away, back up the steps, without saying another word.

Seeing him leave, I immediately jumped up from my seat, then ran over to the bottom of the steps.

"Wait, Ike!!" I called "You get back here and tell me how you feel!! I don't care if...." I trailed off, stomping after Ike.

Before I continue with this, can I tell you about how I fell in love with this guy? You may find it interesting, or the majority of you may find it stupid or weird. But just trust me on this- it was horrifying, but amazing.