Chapter 3: We Can Be Netflix Pigs

“Whoa, this is your aunt’s place?” Tanner asks as the taxi stops in front of a large stucco home.

“I guess so,” I reply, looking out of the window. “It sure is nice,” I note.

“Drew, pay the man,” Tanner tells him as he gets out and I follow, not wanting to be in the car alone with Drew. Well, the taxi driver would still be in there, of course, but still. There’s no telling what I’d do to him.  

“Erm, you take American Dollars?” Drew asks the driver.

The man grumbles angrily and says something in Italian that I of course don’t understand, but he takes the money from Drew, and Drew slides out of the car, walking around to the back of the cab, pulling the trunk up. He takes his two bags out and I notice the other taxi cab- the one Bradley’s in - pulling up behind us. Tanner hands me my bags and gets his as Bradley, Mikey, Jaime and Walker all get out of the second cab and the two of them drive off right after each other.

“Wow, this place is nice,” Walker notes, letting out a low whistle.

“Seriously,” Jaime agrees, awe-struck.

“I’m starving,” Mikey whines. “She has food in there, right?”

“I’m sure she has food in her house, Mikey.” Jaime reassures her boyfriend.

“One way to find out; guess we gotta actually go in.” I say, throwing my bag strap over my shoulder.

The house really is nice, from the outside, so it must be nice on the inside. The sidewalk leads into the walkway that goes up to the front door and it’s all cobblestoned or something, the walkway up to her house. I walk along the cobblestone and walk up the three little stairs that lead me to front door, followed by the guys and Jaime. I press my finger down on the doorbell and step back, listening as it reverberates throughout the house. The seven of us stand there in silence for a few seconds before the mahogany front door swiftly swings open. 

Ciao! Mi chiedevo se voi ragazzi sarebbe trovato qui!” The lady, my aunt Francesca, exclaims in a cheerful tone.

“I got it,” Drew says, pulling his dumb translation book out. “Uh, I think she said hi and that she was waiting for us.”

“That’s exactly what I said, well, more or less.” Aunt Francesca answers with a giggle. “Come in, come in!”

Aunt Francesca steps aside, extending her arm for the rest of to walk through. Walking into her house, I see that it is even better looking than the outside. The ceilings are really, really high, like so high that if the light bulb up there ever blows, they’re screwed.  The walls are a crème color and the floors are coated with an expensive looking mahogany finish. There’s a huge TV mounted to the wall, a brown L-shaped couch and two arm chairs surrounding the TV along with a few tables; I guess this is the living room.

“Sydney,” Aunt Francesca says, throwing her arms around me in a hug. “it’s so nice to see you again.”

“You too.” I reply awkwardly, hugging back. When I say, “Thanks so much, you know, for letting us all stay here.”

“It’s no problem at all,” She assures me. “I mean, the house is huge and Elena and I don’t take up much space at all.”

“Who’s Elena?” Mikey wonders.

“Oh, Elena’s my daughter. Do you remember her, Sydney?” She asks me.

“I really don’t, sorry,” I tell her with a solemn shake of the head. “My mom mentioned her though.”