Chapter 23: You Just Worry Too Much

“I don’t wanna go home,” I croon sadly, rolling around on the floor with a loud groan.

“Sydney, get up off of the floor—  you’re going to get carpet burn if you don’t,” Bradley warns me from my bed, which he is leisurely laying on, watching some sort of action-y movie with lots of shooting and swearing on TV, with a gentle laugh.

“I would much rather suffer from carpet burn than go back home today,” I murmur stubbornly, not obliging with my boyfriend’s request in getting up from the floor. Instead, I just stay right there on the center of my bedroom floor, comfortably curled up into the fetal position.

You would think that curling yourself up on the floor into a tiny, little ball and staying like that for an hour and a half would be painful but it’s actually not at all. Besides, if I get up, I know that I’m going to have to pack my bags and stuff because we’re leaving Italy today and going back to Michigan and I just really do not want to do that at all. Leave or pack, that is.

I mean, I obviously know that I have to get up eventually and pack but I just don’t want to and I’m kind of dreading it. If I could just like, restart summer and get to spend three more months in this beautiful country, I totally would, because that’d be super nice. You know, aside from all of that depressing stuff that I went through at the beginning of the summer when my boyfriend hated me and my best friend and everything was just super terrible and awful and I never want to have to go through anything like that again. It wasn’t pretty at all—  but I’m sure you remember that all too well.

“Do you remember how at the beginning of summer you wanted nothing more than to go back to Michigan? Now the day has finally arrived and you wanna stay here now? I think that you might be just a tad bit bipolar, girlfriend,” He cheekily tells me but I know that he’s only teasing me, which he always does.

“Oh, shut up,” I giggle, rolling my eyes at his latter statement. “And that’s just because at the beginning of summer, I was heartbroken and sad and felt like dying—  I figured it be a lot less painful and a lot easier to just go back home and put some distance between us; my demon monster of a mother forbade that though,” I sigh lightly, shrugging my shoulders carelessly at the memory of the numerous times that I begged my mom to let me come home. After she said no after about the fifteenth time, I just stop trying and I haven’t talked to her since then—  that was around the end of June.

“You are kind of ridiculous, you know that? And your mother isn’t a ‘demon monster’, she’s a nice lady,” He defends.

“Nope,” I deny, shaking my head and popping the ‘p’. “She just likes you, that’s all,” I truthfully inform him.

“Okay, sure,” Bradley laughs, appeasing me because he knows how stubborn I really am. “Just think about it though—  if she’d let you come back home in June, we probably wouldn’t have gotten back together and I’m pretty sure I would have murdered Drew by now. Oh and I wouldn’t have that cool telescope that you got me for my birthday.” Bradley explains.  “But yeah, I’m sorry about that, again—  I know that I caused you a lot of unnecessary pain,” Bradley sheepishly admits.

“It is a pretty cool telescope, isn’t it?” I agree with a laugh. “And don’t apologize—  it wasn’t your fault, I was the dumb one.” 

“You’re not dumb,” Bradley assures me in a gentle voice and I hear him get up from the bed, his footsteps padding across the carpeted floor towards me. “We both just did really dumb things, that all but it’s fine because we got past it and if we never fought, we wouldn’t be a good couple because all good couples fight every now and again,” He adds and all of a sudden, I feel his arms scooping up underneath me, lifting me from the floor. I think that Bradley just likes to show off his strength to me and that’s why he’s always picking me up and carrying me and stuff like that.