Chapter 14: I'll Make A Big Scene Of It

The morning after Bradley’s birthday, I wake up to the sound of my pre-set alarm going off, ringing in my ear. I peel my eyes open and blink a few times before reaching over to my bedside table, where my iPhone is blaring. I have the alarm tone as they really stupid and persistent alarm tone thingy, so it’s pretty bothersome.

Grabbing the phone, I disable the alarm and sigh quietly. I hear the quiet groan of a person beside me suddenly, which makes me nearly jump out of my skin. I glance over and sigh in relief when I realize that it’s just Bradley and he’s lying there on his stomach, one of his arms lazily wound around my waist. That’s when the events that occurred last night come flashing back to me all at one.

The yelling, the fighting, the crying, all of it. And of course, the sex. Obviously Bradley and I did the deed last night and not just once. We did it like, a lot of times, which was probably not the smartest thing to do considering the fact that I’m leaving this country for good in about an hour. Yeah, I know that I told him that I wouldn’t go, but I seem to remember that just a few months ago all of us were up in Colorado and he was all, “I’m not gonna break your heart,” when he first asked me out and I believed him.

And what position has that left me in? A broken-hearted position. He lied to me when he said that and I lied to him last night when I said I wouldn’t go. I lie, he lies and we hurt each other, that’s just what we do. Personally, I’m deciding to take this as a sign. A sign that our relationship is just toxic and obviously doesn’t need exist.  

As slowly and peacefully as I possibly can, I inch myself from under Bradley’s arm and drop it down on the bed. I sit up in my bed and let out a long and heavy sigh before running my fingers through my wild hair. Looking down on the floor for something to cover up my nakedness, I find only Bradley’s shirt and pick it up since it’s closest to me. I clamor out of the bed and tug the shirt on over me, pulling it down so that it covers my butt completely. I spot my tank top and purple sweater across the room near the bedroom door and my yoga shorts and panties at the foot of the bed on the floor, bundled up with Bradley’s plaid boxers and gym shorts.

I walk over to my luggage and collect the blue t-shirt and black yoga pants that I set out to wear today along with a bra and a pair of underwear. With that, I creep out of  my room as quietly as I can and into the hallway, making sure to bring my phone with me. Bradley’s a pretty heavy sleeper, I guess, but the sound of my alarm clock nearly woke him up just five minutes ago and if I hadn’t stopped it, it most likely would have been. I can’t let him wake up until I’m gone because if he does, everything will just be ruined.

“Sydney?” Mikey calls, making me jump in shock because I didn’t think that he—  or anyone in the house—  would be up this early.

“Oh, um, h-hey Mikey,” I reply, giving him an awkward wave and itching the shirt down more so he doesn’t get suspicious.

“What’re you doing up so early?” He wonders, walking down from outside his bedroom door and stopping in front of me.

“Um, just, erm, couldn’t sleep, I guess. I’m just gonna take a shower,” I explain, trying to side step him, but he blocks my way.

“Do you usually sleep in nothing but Bradley’s shirts?” Mikey queries, glancing down at my lack of clothing with a disbelieving look.

“Um, yes? Why are you being so weird?” I wonder, wrinkling my nose in confusion.

“Because you’re being weird,” He simply supplies. “It’s 6 in the morning and the last time you woke up this early was…never.”