ten

"Um, you didn't have to walk me back." I whispered, clutching my book bag to my chest and shyly looking down at the pavement.

Liam let out a chuckle, lifting the heavy book bag from my grasp and slinging one of the straps over his broad shoulder. I was about to protest and grab it back but he opened his mouth speak, "You really think we're going to let you out of our site again, my angel? That's cute."

I blushed a deep red, hugging my arms around my body as we continued walking in the direction of our dorm building. I couldn't tell if they realized yet that I was leading them to their dorm building as well. It's only a matter of minutes until they realize we live in the same building. Even the same floor.

"I won't run again, I promise." I muttered, thoroughly embarrassed about my past actions that have now come back to pester me. I don't think them or Professor Horan are going to let go of the fact that I tried hiding from them. Granted, it was pure stupidity because I knew that I couldn't play hide and seek with them forever. It was my own cowardliness that has returned to bite me in the bum.

"Hmm, we believe you pumpkin." Louis hummed with a smirk, prying one of my hands off my waist and capturing it in his own. My face heated up once again as I looked down at our swinging hands. My eyes trailed up to meet his and all I saw was a cocky smirk. "We're just making sure you're safe."

I nodded slightly even though I didn't really understand. They must've known that this wasn't my first time walking back to my dorm on my own. I didn't say anything, however, in fear of their reactions.

I don't think I have anything to be afraid of though because so far they've been nothing but gentlemen. Maybe a bit possessive but nothing too over the top yet. Key word is yet. They've done nothing so far that justifies all the stories people spew about them. The thought makes me frown. Now that I know positively that they're my mates, I don't appreciate all the rude comments I've heard. I know my change of view on them has been constantly conflicting, but my heart and my mind don't seem to agree. My heart is racing at the sight of my mates and my mind is yelling at me to runaway and never look back. It seems my mind doesn't really have a choice on the matter now.

"A penny for your thoughts, baby?" Niall chuckled huskily from beside Louis. I had to lean forward to see past Louis to Niall and when I did, I quickly looked away timidly, once again blushing.

I brought my unoccupied hand to my face, pressing my cold fingertips to the heated skin of my cheek. I don't know why I was doing it. I guess I wanted someway to cover the permanent blush that wouldn't remove itself from my face no matter how much I willed it. If I had to take a guess, I think the root of the redness is coming from all the nicknames they keep calling me. I noticed that they enjoy these terms of endearment instead of my actual name so I'm trying to get used to it. It's become clear that they aren't going to stop so my cheeks better get used to looking like a radish. And...maybe I find just a little enjoyment in being referred to by these various pet names. Just a little.

"You sure do blush a lot, my angel." Liam chuckled in amusement, grasping the hand on my face and enclosing one of his hands around it. "Like a little cherry." He added, swinging our hands a bit more carelessly.

"Mm, a delicious little cherry." Zany agreed from his position on the other side of Liam, a teasing grin spreading across his features as he licked his lips.

I didn't respond to his comment, forcing my eyes to stay rooted to the ground so they couldn't see the flush on my face. I listened to their chuckles fill the quiet courtyard, wondering why no one is ever around in the dorm areas. It's only 8pm. Classes go on till late for some students but I assume most must be out and about fetching dinner or something. But why can't I spot anyone? It's like whenever "The Tops" are around everyone else scatters, like they can sense their powerful presence.