nineteen

"If you glare at everybody we pass like that, no ones ever going to talk to me again." I mutter, smiling apologetically at a boy who had maybe stared a little too long at Niall and I. Niall reciprocated by staring him down until he scurried away.

"Good." He smirked in response, pulling me closer by the arm he had looped possessively around my shoulder. "I don't think any of them would be good enough for you."

I rolled my eyes despite the fact that he meant it as a compliment. I decided not to retaliate because I knew he might take it a step too far and literally tape it on my forehead that I'm off limits.

I sighed, opting to change the subject. "You know, walking me to all my classes isn't necessary. I'm perfectly capable of walking from one building to another. I don't need one of you always with me." I pointed out, knowing that it was useless to even bring it up because it's not like they'd listen.

It's been two days since the weekend and three days since the incident at the bar. During these past few days my mates have take it upon themselves to walk me from the dorm to each of my classes and then back home. There is always at least one of them waiting outside the door, ready to scare off any attention.

At the start I enjoyed the company but now it's becoming a little much. I mean, I wake up next to them, I eat with them, I come home to them, and now I walk with them everywhere. I know they are aware of how overbearing they're being but I doubt they care. Plus, it's become a real pain to try and make friends because now everyone I even try to start a conversation with scurries off in fear of what my mates will do.

"And here you are." Niall smiled, motioning to my class room that we had finally arrived to. He slung my bag off his shoulder and held it out to me.

"Thanks." I whispered, blushing furiously. They've also taken it upon themselves to never let me hold my own bag. Even when I assured them I was perfectly capable, they said they liked to do it. I sighed, "So, do you guys...like never have class?" I just had to ask because it's a little confusing how they're always able to be with me.

Niall just laughed, shoving his hands into his sweater pockets, "My dad does own this school so we're not really required to attend all classes. Plus we told you, we only came to this University to find our mate." He motioned to me, "And now we have."

I bit my lip, nodding along, "And...you're only staying here because I'm here." He smiled, and reached a hand up to pinch my cheek. I blushed.

"Of course. We can't leave you on your own. Who would protect you?" I decided not to answer that, knowing he would not be satisfied with any answer.

I sighed, "Okay, well I gotta get to class. Are you picking me up?" I questioned, knowing it'd either be him or one of my other mates.

"Actually the four of us are going to be stuck in a meeting with my dad for a little longer than your class lasts." His eyes suddenly hardened, fixing me with a stern look, "You don't leave this class till one of us come to get you, got it?"

I nodded wordlessly, gulping at the way his voice darkened. When Niall was serious he was really scary, and even though I know he would never lay an abusive hand on me, the omega in me still shivers.

"Promise me." He pushes, grasping my shoulders that now have my backpack slung over them.

"I-I promise. I won't leave the class." I confirmed shakily, my eyes wide.

"Good." He sighs, his features softening. "Text us when you're done."

I nodded, absentmindedly reaching into my back pocket to grab my phone. My eyes widened when I felt nothing. I cursed under my breath and quickly checked my other pocket. Nothing. I threw down my backpack and started frantically rummaging through it. "Oh no...no...no..." I kept muttering under my breath as I shifted through all the pockets.