//4

after:

PENELOPE

"what the hell is wrong with you?" i demand, pounding an upset fist into xander's chest.

he takes it like a man and rolls his eyes sorrowfully. "look, loopy, we didn't want to do this. but, it's evident you need help. the deloni's want-"

"no. i don't want to ever see them again."

"but, they're our friends and they're concerned for you-"

"xander!"

he was silent for a while before watching me closely and opening his mouth, "are you upset because-"

"because i was going to be a deloni? that i was willing to change my name from penelope maria xiang to penelope maria deloni? because my husband left me?" my voice was clear and furious.

xander, speechless, tried apologizing. "loop-"

"yeah, whatever. let's get this shitty therapy thing over with."

:::

the incident:

ZACH

fear and the different possibilities clouded my mind. this could turn out very bad, very bad.

however, my outside expression was anything but grim. it was quite positive, knowing if penelope sensed my fear, she would freak out.

"hey, it's okay, we'll be okay." i said frantically, looking at penelope breathing heavily. "we've got four water bottles, two life jackets, and each other. we'll be fine."

she sucked in a deep breath and looked at me closely for any panic, which i hid carefully.

"alright," she said slowly. "i guess we should ditch this boat, it's about to collapse."

i agreed and we began scrounging the small boat for anything valuable. we discovered a small waterproof box, with emergency supplies. additionally to that, we found a jug of water and four sealed astronaut meals.

she calmed slightly and asked, "is there anything we could use to call someone?"

opening the waterproof box, i found a small outdated device with a red button and a blue. shrugging, i pushed the blue button and found the tiny screen beeping and announcing, two miles from land.

excitedly, we pressed the red button to hear it ring, help connected.

penelope seemed relieved that we were finally going to find help, as we'd been stranded in the ocean for two hours and it the water was cold.

help denied. the device said before shutting down. again, we panicked.

"aw, shit!" she muttered, grasping the device and attempting to toss it into the water out of frustration. i gently took the device and placed it back into the box that i resealed.

we were silent for so long i'd thought she fell asleep, but that's when i heard her silently crying.

"loving you joyously." i declared aloud, hoping to make her smile.

instead, she sobbed harder and sputtered, "if-if only we could still be in that stupid town, i would do anything! zach, you know i've read many books. you know i read adventurous books when they go into the water and are stuck. and you know i despise living in books, because you know what? everyone dies."

she bawls and i eventually paddle over to her and awkwardly hug her.

"the device said we're two miles from land. maybe we'll reach california. and plus, i'm sure search parties are looking for us, anyway." at this point, i'm tired of comforting her, and i just want to seek land.

she gulps down her tears and starts swimming towards a random direction.

"wait!" i holler, taking the device out again. i punch the blue button, hoping for it to at least tell us which way to go. instead, it discourages us massively.

six miles from land.

she groans and i simply press it again, only for it to declare, twenty two miles from land.

"zach, the stupid thing is broken." she says, but i continue pressing it.

forty one.

ninety seven.

five.

why the hell is it lying?!

out of anger, i cracked the device in half and tossed it into the water, even though i disapproved of penelope doing so.

she continued to swim, complaining of the cold. she didn't even bring up the small breakdown i just had, this perfect girl.

if we make it through this, i'm so ready to marry her.

:::

deez nuts, more like dee's nuts exclusively sold at walmart including chestnuts, almonds, and peanuts! covered in chocolate and caramel, this limited time delicacy is a great gift for the holidays!

wtf did i just write. now you know what goes on in my mind!