//8

the incident:

PENELOPE

i paddle furiously, more harder than i ever could've, trying to leave him and his memories behind but i just can't.

sighing and breathing heavily from all of the swimming, i unzip the waterproof bag and search for another packet of food, only to find a video recording device marked waterproof.

curiously, i abandoned my growling stomach and clicked the button on the side of this outdated device.

a voice was heard throughout the empty sea.

"ellie, i love you. i need you to know that, i love you." he paused and seemed to be crying on the other side.

then, he continued. "i love how your eyelashes batter when you're thinking hard or trying not to cry, i love how you always order a vanilla milkshake with green sprinkles when we go to carvel, i love whenever you get out of your car in the pouring rain in the middle of a highway just to save turtles trapped between the cars, i love how you chew your ring finger nail whenever you're reading those stupid mystery novels you love, i love how you save the snow from every blizzard and make a five blizzard snowman afterwards, i just love you. and i'll miss you, and i hope you know that i'll never forget us. please don't be too sad, it's okay. go on with your life, and become the bookstore owner or whatever you want to be. i just want you to stay happy. love, zach."

then, he was gone. i pressed the button over and over again only to hear the same words drone out and over again.

but soon, i knew that these words meant nothing. my stupid husband ditched me.

:::

after:

PENELOPE

"she thinks the food we give her is unappetizing."

"what the hell does that mean, janet?! there are goddamn people in africa dying because of the food she's wasting."

"daniel, you say that one more time, and i'll kill you."

my parents were arguing about me. a twenty-three year old still living in her parent's house, how pathetic. worst of all, i was causing upset emotions.

i haven't worked for a while. my college life was halted for a few months now. i didn't see the point without my husband by my side. he was all i wanted, all i needed.

and just like that, he was gone.