CHAPTER 2: HOSPITALS

Dani's eyes fluttered open, she was immediately met with bright lights and a wave of pain.

She heard a steady beat of a heart monitor on her left. Other than that annoying noise, it was completely silent.

She waited a few moments staring at the ceiling, silently crying when she intensity of what had happened hit her. Her friend was gone.

Her heart monitor sped up as she cried.

A doctor strolled in, wearing usual plain colored scrubs and was looking at a clipboard.

He startled a bit when he saw Dani's eyes were open, tears streaming down her face.

His gaze softened and he sympathetically asked, "Dani? How are you feeling?"

Dani glanced at him from the corner of her eye, "Guilty," she answered honestly.

The doctor asked, "I meant physically, but why do you feel guilty that you were shot?"

She turned her head to face him and said, "I couldn't save him, now my friend is gone. I was right there, and I did nothing."

Tears welled in her eyes as she turned back to face the ceiling.

The doctor sighed, and there was silence for a moment, "Well Dani, I'm Doctor Darby, how's your physical pain on a scale of one to ten? And don't say anything less than five because I know it has to be more painful that. You were shot three times, once in your shoulder, once in your thigh, and once in your chest, just mere millimeters from your heart. You're very lucky to have survived," he informed.

"Are my cousins okay? They were in the building with me." Dani said.

The doctor gazed at the door for a moment and then dreadfully said, "I'm sorry Dani they didn't make it."

Dani closed her eyes and let a few shaky breaths.

Darby said, "They weren't the only casualties you know. The police think this entire charade has something to do with you."

Dani hoarsely asked, "Why would this have anything to do with me?"

Doctor Darby sighed, "I believe that they should tell you that. I've given enough bad news for today," he said as be turned and walked out.

He whispered something incomprehensible to someone by the door.

Darby turned and strolled down the hall, letting the door close quietly behind him.

Dani sat there in silence thinking 'Anyone that has ever shown me any kindness is gone. Why me? What have I done to deserve this?'

Dani lifted her arm wiping the tears from her face as she heard a light knock on the door.

She gave a quiet, "Come in,".

The door opened revealing a deputy from the police department, wearing the usual uniform.

He had brown combed over hair with a pair of shades covering his eyes. He looked about twenty-five to thirty years old.