Part 4

Amrita settled in a room overlooking a huge garden. Beyond the garden were a valley and mountains. Amrita's home was at a beautiful location, but here on this hill station, it was something else. A private veranda overlooked the garden outside. Amrita gave a squeal of satisfaction and jumped onto her bed. "Mine for a week, all alone in this cosy, luxurious room. This is life!" She thought to herself while bouncing on the bed.

Marriott was a fantastic hotel and the families had charted fun ways to explore the station. At eight in the night of the first day, excitement was palpable as the three families took their places for dinner at a huge dining table that was fixed in a perfect corner of the restaurant. The huge windows showcased a magnificent view outside. Soft music played in the background and the lights were dim but adequate.

The relaxing bath Amrita took in the huge bathtub in her room put her in a great mood. At the table, she was chatting good-humouredly with Mohit who sat on her right. Hers was the cornermost seat. The head seat at her end of the table was currently empty, waiting for its purpose in life to be fulfilled. A waft of the most pleasant scent caught her attention, she turned away from Mohit to see its origin.

"Hi," smiled Arjun taking that empty seat right next to Amrita, and his brother Abhi on the left.

"Hi," replied Mohit. Amrita was smiling. She realised she had been smiling for quite some time and should stop in order to not look like an idiot. But the smile was something she did not have much control over.

Conversations were flowing in all directions and soups were being savoured with the eagerness of hunger. The soft music playing had switched onto a famous song which was one of Amrita's favourites.

"You like this song." It was a statement more than a question.

Amrita looked at Arjun. It was the first thing he had said to her directly, which was more than a word, since they had met.

"Yes, I do like it very much. How do you know?" Amrita asked out of curiosity.

"I saw the way you got a little excited and then you were drumming your fingers on the table," Arjun replied with a smile, looking directly into her eyes.

Amrita kept looking back at him. She realised she should stop, then so she quickly looked over at Mohit and said, "Uh, I... uh, I want fried rice."

"What?" Mohit asked her. "Oh! For the main course. Yes, I already ordered that; I know you like it," he said.

Amrita felt dazed. She knew she was blushing. She could not bring herself to look at Arjun again.

"Amrita, how are things at the bakery?" Mahi asked from across the table.

"They are good Mahi. I have further plans for it." Amrita replied.

"A bakery!" exclaimed Arjun. "Is it yours or do you work there?"

This was going to be a difficult but interesting evening. "I work there," Amrita replied abruptly looking at Arjun for only a second then addressing Mahi. Mahi gave Amrita a questioning, confused look.

Amrita realised what she had said. "No, it is my bakery, I uh... misunderstood," she stammered a little.

What the hell is wrong with me! Amrita gave herself a pep talk. Who is this person to you Amrita? Get a grip on yourself. He is probably an arrogant, superficial idiot, who knows he is too attractive. Don't give him any importance.

Her pep talk was cut off by a smirking Arjun looking at her, gracefully picking up the glass of his drink, taking a sip, and saying, while holding her gaze, "That is just fine."

It was all too subtle for anyone to get other than the ever-perceptive Mahi. Mahi grinned and moved her eyebrows up and down at Amrita, while Arjun talked with Mohit and Abhi.

What? Amrita questioned with her eyes. Bathroom, indicated Mahi with hers. "Excuse us gentlemen, we ladies have to go powder our noses." Mahi gave a performance as she shot up from her seat. Within 5 minutes, in the washroom, Mahi was saying, "I knew it! I knew you guys would hit off. That is why I told everyone that you guys should meet."

"You set me up for this whole charade? Oh my God, Arjun is in on this whole thing! That is why you all brought me here! Even my parents are in on this, aren't they?"

Amrita could not believe it. They had all set her up. This coming to the hill station to celebrate Mahi's engagement, for a week, was all an illusion. It was all so that they could set her up with Arjun.

"And we did nothing like hitting it off," Amrita snapped.

"Amrita sweetie, I am your elder sister, trust me. I want the best for you. No one forced you to come here. We all did want to celebrate the engagement together and have a week-long winter vacation. It's just that your parents knew you would never agree to it if you had the slightest hint of this arrangement. I think your mom let it slip to you anyway. Moreover, Arjun only knew as much as you did; that the families wanted you to meet. He does not know that one of the motives of us coming here was so that you two could be properly introduced in an informal setting."

Amrita was angry. She rarely got angry but right then she was.

"Mahi, don't talk to me. I hate lies. Also, for the last time, Arjun and I are not hitting anything together; he is an arrogant idiot! Did you see his attitude when he smirked at me back there? I am going back to my dinner." She rushed back without a backward glance.