Part 28

Amrita turned to see a man coming along the gazebo path, towards them. At his side was a young woman wrapped in a glamorous red dress.

Arjun went forward to greet him.

"Hello Mr Srinivasan. How are you?" He said and gave a curt nod to the woman beside him.

It was then that Amrita saw Trisha clinging to Mr Srinivasan's arm. He was a man in his thirties with a thick well-groomed beard and square glasses.

Who had invited her? Amrita wondered.

"I am very well Mr Singhal. The wedding arrangement is great," Srinivasan replied to Arjun.

"Thank you, did you meet my brother?"

"No, I did not. Maybe your beautiful friend could lead me to congratulate him," Srinivasan gestured towards Amrita.

What beautiful friend? Arjun wondered, confused. He looked over to where Srinivasan was looking.

She did look exceedingly beautiful. As beautiful as she had looked sitting with him in the cottage at Krishi hill. Jealous rage started boiling in him.

Srinivasan made his way towards Amrita, while Trisha looked on unable to do anything.

"She can't go with you, she has to help me with some work," Arjun furiously went and stood by Amrita's side.

"Well, that is too bad."

"I am Srinivasan," he started introducing himself to Amrita. "You must have heard of Srinivasan firm of architecture. I am that Srinivasan. My father is the CEO and you are?"

"Amrita," she said.

"Of course, such a beautiful woman would have a beautiful name."

Arjun was standing between them, listening intently, wanting for Srinivasan to not talk to Amrita.

All this while, Trisha stood watching, figuring out where to pounce and how. She knew being with Srinivasan was temporary unless she really played her cards well. He was her boss' son, but she was not attracted to him. He couldn't be compared with Arjun, who had the plus point of being handsome and loyal. She wanted to test the waters one last time.

Srinivasan was embarrassing himself, she thought. Flirting with Amrita, while standing with herself.

"You know Miss Amrita, my company has collaborated with Mr Singhal's project. It is a huge project and I am the one from our company who is overseeing it."

Amrita smiled acknowledging, not knowing what else to say.

"Oh! Have you met her? She is Ms Trisha Arora, our business analyst. She is working closely with me and Mr Singhal's enterprise."

Amrita nodded, smiling politely. That is what Arjun had texted her after the phone call fiasco. She remembered.

"So, as I was saying earlier, why don't you show me around here, you must know the bride and groom?"

"No, she doesn't know anyone here. I will show you around," Arjun interjected hastily, steering Srinivasan away. Srinivasan went along with Arjun, disappointed and annoyed, but knowing he could not risk any further impertinence towards the head of the project his company was currently managing.

Trisha stayed behind having gotten her prey cornered at last.

"So Amrita, how have you been? Last time we talked it was barely for a minute. Do you remember?" she asked.

"No," Amrita answered. She remembered very well.

"You don't? You even called Arjun while he and I were together, after you had talked with me. We had a lot of fun that day. We talked about our old college days and dates over drinks, and what not," she giggled.