Part 30

Amrita felt dazed and euphoric like she had suddenly won a billion-dollar lottery. She was sitting behind Mahi on thick cushions on the ground. Her arms circled her knees and her head tilted slightly, rested on them. Mantras were being recited in Sanskrit while Mahi and Abhi were being wed, with the supreme energy in the form of Fire, as the witness.

Amrita looked across the mandap to where Arjun was standing. Looking through the flames everything looked like a mirage. Arjun's frame, which was busy speaking to some people, seemed distorted. She was feeling sleepy. The sounds of the chanting were smooth, deep and relaxing. Her eyes got heavier and heavier as the sounds of the mantras got softer and softer.

It was Arjun and herself, who were sitting in front of the fire. Arjun was holding her hand and panditji was singing in his melodious voice to get them married. But this was not mandap, where Mahi got married. They were in their cottage on Krishi hill. This time there was no snow rather, flowers were blooming outside. The cottage was filled with light. This time they were not alone there; her family and Arjun's family were with them too. Amrita saw Mrs Pawan standing in one corner smiling and clapping. There were not more than ten people. Arjun embraced her once the ceremony was over. He picked her up, bridal style. Only they were no longer in the cottage in Krishi hill. They were in Arjun's office cabin. She was still in his arms and he was asking her, "Do you love me my Amrita?" She felt blissful in her dream and replied, "Yes, so much my love." Then he was kissing her cheeks, only it was sloppy and wet. "Arjun!" She exclaimed as she woke up with a jerk.

Her little niece had her arms around Amrita and was kissing her cheeks to bits. What? She was still in the mandap and Mahi's wedding was going on. Mahi and Abhi had gotten up for the seven ceremonial vows in which they had to circle the fire. "Amu! Why are you calling Aljun? You were crying again so I came to kiss you to make the tears on your cheeks go away. Can only Aljun make you stop crying? Is that why you were calling him? Wait!" She exclaimed. "I will ask Grandma!"

Amrita had regained her senses. She had had such a wonderful dream. And she had apparently been crying, only this time she knew they were tears of joy.

She held onto Bunny, her little niece, not letting her escape. She held her onto her lap and showered her own kisses on her as the little one squealed, all ticklish. "Don't tell anyone what Amu said Bunny, you can dry Amu tears, not Arjun."

Bunny squealed again, with excitement this time, and ran away from her aunt's lap, only for her head to collide with Arjun's knee. Arjun laughed and held her up in his arms. "Aljun, I made Amu stop crying. She said she doesn't want you."

Arjun pretended to be hurt and kept his hand on his heart. "Really miss Bunny? I don't think so. Why don't we go ask her now? Will you call her here for me?"

But Bunny forgot all about it and ran over to her Grandpa and started playing in his lap. She had slept all afternoon till evening and was now in top form. She asked one question after another to all of which her mother's father replied patiently.

"Grampa, why is no one sleeping at night today?"

"Because Mahi is getting married."

"Grampa, when Amrita gets married then also we will not sleep?"

"I hope you will sleep Bunny."

"Grampa, everyone has to get married?"

"Yes Bunny."

"Grampa, today Amrita will also get married?"

"No Bunny," replied her grandfather automatically.

"But, Grampa, Aljun said Amrita and Aljun will also get married today."

"What?" Her grandpa asked suddenly paying attention.