Part 31- Last

"Get up love." A wonderfully deep voice cooed in Amrita's ear. What a wonderful dream it had been. She was getting married to the man whose image had been imprinted on her mind since she could remember. In her mind, the face had never been present, but his being and the feeling it evoked had always been. She did not want to wake up from this dream. She wanted to watch what was going to happen next.

Slowly, she was aroused from her slumber, like a bird sings, first softly, gently, caressing each precious note, then with increasing vigour, an intensity, the highest note reached. She awakened to find reality better than all dreams.

The sun had risen hours ago. The evening had come and gone.

Amrita was with Arjun in his flat, near his office. Some of her luggage was to be moved to their new home the day after. Arjun knew she would have to go back to her hometown to manage her bakery and they would have to separate for some time. He was prepared to travel with her and find a solution slowly. But, the thoughts that weighed heavy on his mind were different. They were about a separation that would last much longer.

She was bathing, enjoying the scent and warmth of the bath water that her husband had drawn for her. She closed her eyes and let her mind relax, submerged in the comfort of the huge tub.

Arjun smelt jasmine in full bloom. It was her, his Amrita. In her white bathrobe, she looked very much the white flower. He pulled her down on his lap and whispered looking into her smitten eyes, "I have a surprise for you." He pulled out an envelope. It was addressed to her.

She opened it, curiously taking out and opening the letter enclosed within.

We are delighted to inform you that your scholarship for the two-year bachelor's course at the New York School of Pastry Arts has been approved.

What? She read it again. But how? And What now? She wondered. This is what she had wanted so badly.

She looked at him, her eyes filled with questions.

He began, "During the past two months when we had not been in contact, I missed you terribly. I was afraid you'd go so far away I wouldn't even see you by chance."

Amrita's misgiving surfaced again, had he tried to stop her again? She listened intently to what he was saying.

"I came to know from Abhi that you had given up on the New York school and taken admission in a University in Delhi which offers a pastry course. I know it was your dream and I did not want to be the reason it got crushed. I had already turned your parents against the idea as well. You would probably have a lot of difficulty getting in due to the high fees. I wanted to at least try to make amends, so, I made a donation to the school for South East Asian applicants."

"But, the time for you to make a deposit had already passed. Today afternoon my company got the mail that since none of the two candidates selected for the course from South East Asia had availed our company's scholarship, so we can sponsor one candidate. So, you can fulfil your dream now."

Amrita tried to digest all the information he had just given her.

She sat down comfortably on the bed by the headboard.

"Hmm," was all she said.

"Okay, then," Arjun replied. "You have to leave by next week. I will arrange things for you," he said smilingly. Inside he was feeling morose about her leaving.

"Arjun, wait." She got up and held his hand. "Will it be too much of a loss to your company if I don't go immediately, this year?"

"Huh?!" He looked at her, confused. "No, it's fine we can sponsor some other deserving candidate."