Part 17

Amrita was a hair's width away from losing her sanity. The night before, she had been in someone's arms. She had called out Kabir's name in the dream, but the man she was clinging to was Arjun. He had pulled away from her. He started disappearing... and was gone. She had woken up with a hollow feeling of loss.

Everyone at her aunt's house was busy with wedding preparations. Mohit's office was far from home, thus he had his own place he lived at. Amrita was yet to meet him.

She was writing names of guests on Mahi's wedding invitations. She was more than happy for the distraction the work provided. Mahi was sitting beside her, sharing the work.

Mahi said, "I am sorry Amrita, about last night. I don't know how it was that I forgot to inform Abhi, about you dining with us."

Amrita kept the pen down. "It's understandable. You have been so preoccupied lately. Don't worry about it," she said.

Mahi looked apologetic, "It was really awkward. How are you feeling? First there was Arjun, then you met Kabir. God, I thought Arjun was going to rip his head off the way he was looking at Kabir."

Amrita gave a humourless laugh, "Haha, yeah."

Mahi perceived Amrita's discomfort. "You must be really angry at Arjun for spurting groundless nonsense in front of Kabir about him being your boyfriend. Do you want me to scold him for you?" she asked trying to comfort her sister.

Amrita looked up at Mahi affectionately and said, "You are so nice Mahi, no wonder Abhi follows you everywhere."

Mahi chuckled.

Amrita continued, "Don't say anything to Arjun. The fact is, last night, in front of Kabir, I was speechless. When, at that moment, I had made a complete fool of myself, Arjun spoke up, I felt relieved. I felt a strand of my self-esteem had been preserved."

Mahi gave her an understanding smile. They worked in silence for some time until Mahi initiated the conversation, "You were planning on getting a diploma in professional pastry making, what happened to that plan?"

Amrita replied enthusiastically, "It is still very much on the cards. I really want to be a master pastry chef. I want to hone my art and skills. But one of the best schools is in Paris and is way over my budget. There are some other places offering the associates degree I would need, like in New York, but it seems I will have to draw a big student's loan for the whole exercise."

By mid-afternoon Amrita was out on the street looking for the closest supermarket to buy some necessities. The food aisle was crowded and she was trying to manoeuvre her way through. She was pushed from one side and knocked someone in the chest with her elbow.

"Uff!" came a groan of pain. "Watch where you are going!" The man retorted.

"I am so sorry, are you hurt?"

He turned towards her angrily.

"Kabir?" she blurted.

Kabir's face smoothed.

"What are you doing here?" she asked surprised.

"I live nearby. What about you?" he answered with a counter question.

"I am visiting here."

"Your boyfriend? I remember him," he remarked snidely.

"Well, he is not my boyfriend, it was a misunderstanding. I am sorry about that. I am visiting that girl I was with yesterday. She is my cousin," she explained.

"Oh, that is weird. Anyway, let's go have lunch. I know a great place just around the corner," he stated.

Isn't this what she had always wanted? To go out with Kabir. He was finally acknowledging her and showing interest in her. She couldn't let this opportunity slip by.