Chapter Seven

My head hurts. Jacob woke up feeling stiff and with a major headache. He lifted his head slowly because his neck was sore. He looked around and remembered he was in the tree house but he doesn't remembering being inside of it. Jacob tried getting up but he couldn't move realizing he's tied to a chair. 

"What the...?"

"How did you find me?" A voice said upon the shadows.

"Maddy? I followed your scent and it lead me here. I've been looking for you everywhere! You have no idea how badly I wanted to see you again after that day you left."

Maddy came out of shadow and showed herself. It wasn't until that moment Jacob took a good look at her. Maddy's hair was longer but it didn't look neat. Her nails were dirty and bitten down. Her face and the other parts of her body you can see is bruised and scratched badly; and she looks pale and thin as if she hasn't eaten in a year.

"What happened to you?" Jacob asked but Maddy didn't answer. "You're not going to say anything? After these past three years I've been searching and wondering where and what happened to you, now that I found you you won't tell me anything!" 

Maddy felt herself tearing up. "So if you found me what would you have done? I either killed or injured your people, family, pack! I hid myself from the world because I didn't want to live anymore after what I've done,"

Jacob was silent and listened. "I have no parents or friends. They all abandoned me so I'd rather be dead than alive."

"That's not true. You have me, Amelia, Jason, and Rhydian. When I told Rhydian what happened to you, he searched for you like I did. Eventually he and I both stopped because we figured you didn't want to be found anymore so we moved on. I tried moving on but I can't,"

"I've missed and worried about you way too much Maddy. And when I saw you that day I wanted to say so many things but you ran off when I  mentioned three years ago. If you think I'm mad well I'm not."

Maddy looked at Jacob in the eye and she didn't know if Jacob would trust her again. I've been gone for so long...does he really forgive me? 

.....

During Jana's free time, she decided to do research on Maddy. All she found was that Maddy used to attend school with Rhydian then her and her family moved away. Jana asked about her from old classmates and teachers, even Rhydian's parents. His mom and dad explained to Jana how Maddy used to stay at their house and her and Rhydian were very close.

From hearing that, Jana became jealous of a girl she had never met. She finally decided to ask Rhydian herself and get to the bottom of this.

.....

Maddy is back...I want to look for her but it's all in the past. "Rhydian!" 

Rhydian was out of his thoughts when he heard Jana yell his name from the front door. He ran down the stairs to see what's wrong. "What's up?" 

"We need to talk," 

They both sat on the couch and Jana started by explaining she heard his and Jacob's conversation the other day. "I thought so. Knowing you, you're nosy."

"Excuse me? Never mind that, I want to know who Maddy is. I heard her name come up too many times to my liking,"

"Don't be jealous okay? Her and I used to be friends until she left. We lost contact so I haven't heard from her since. So when Jacob heard that she's in town he decided to tell me about it." 

"Well do you plan on seeing her anytime soon?"

"No. I don't see why I should,"

"Okay." Jana was fine after that answer. 

.....

Back at the tree-house, Jacob was untied from the chair and looking out the small window. He could see where the village was from there and he began to wonder if Maddy ever watched him from here.

"What do you want to eat?"

"As long as there's meat then I'm okay with anything," Jacob tried to crack a joke about wolves but Maddy was not amused. The air was tense and awkward in the small room. Jacob thought he would die from the awkwardness. 

"So do you watch me from here? I looked out the window and you can see a good view of the village." 

"No." Maddy said in a dead-pan voice. Now Jacob felt even more awkward, if that was possible. He had no idea how to break the ice with her. Its as if she didn't want him to. "Maddy can we try to be friends again? I hate not being able to talk to you like we used to,"

"No. I don't want a repeat of three years ago." 

"Three years ago has nothing to do with us, with me, wanting to be friends again,"

"Yes it does! I'm scared if I get mad again and lose control, I'll hurt you. I don't want that to happen." Jacob finally realized why Maddy blocked everybody out, she doesn't want to hurt anybody else.

"I didn't know you felt that way. But even so, I don't care. I'm your friend and I'm here for you. If you're mad I'll calm you down, if you're sad I'll cheer you up, if you're lonely I'll be there to keep you company. You know I've changed for the better ever since we agree to become friends in the cave three years ago."

"So I'm not going to give up on you, not now, not ever." Maddy was astonished. She honestly thought Jacob would forget about her when she left that day. But to know he wants to be friends with her so badly, Maddy may have hope of seeing a brighter future for her.

.....

"Hey Rhydian, want to go out for a walk?"

"Sure babe." Rhydian and Jana decided to forget their conversation because they both know its a pain. Rhydian never forgot it though. He can't get Maddy out of his head after hearing she's back. Or at least, she's around the area.

While they were walking they heard a twig snap. Both of them turned around and Rhydian couldn't believe what he saw. "Maddy?"