chapter one

July 4, 2002

The lot was already starting to pack up as he drives into the drive-in to drop off a few people to who he offered a ride. It was graduation day and the passing class decided to throw a party here. He figured he would stay since there was no sign of getting out anytime soon. The movie that was showing tonight was The Others, he'd already seen this thriller-horror which he thought had an interesting storyline with funny lines. He turns off his car and goes to sit on the hood, glancing at all the people around him. He wasn't used to such a crowd but he figured why not go for the hell of it. After all, it was the last time he would see these people he never spoke to. He suddenly felt cold too even with the heat in the air. It wasn't long into the movie before he caught someone striding his way; the girl who he would have loved to get to know better. It was Dakota Breit coming his way, they never formed a solid friendship but rather in between the line of friendship and acquaintances. He wasn't one to set his attention on girls like her. Kai was too intent on gazing up at the night sky to even notice she stopped beside his car, looking at him with her honey-colored eyes.

"I don't socialize," He draws in a long breath as she stands beside his car.

"I don't care," She remarks and gets on the hood to sit beside him.

He didn't realize they were close enough acquaintances to be sitting like this together. Then again, maybe he was never paying much attention to their years through high school together.

"It must be really peaceful up there," He sighs looking at her, "Actual silence unlike down here."

"Was I disrupting your silence?" She arches a brow dismissing his subtle cold tone.

"Why are you sitting on my car?" He asks in a sharp tone and ignores her question.

"It eventually brought us into more of a conversation," She ignores his tone, "And no one should be alone at a party."

Kai thinks momentarily before responding, "Ah, so you felt bad for the outsider."

She seems to glare at him as he says this but then softens her expression, "No, Kai."

"I mean this is the most we've talked and honestly, I'm surprised you remember my name."

There's a hint of a smile on her face and she shakes her head, "I mean I did think we got past being acquaintances."

For a moment, he felt confused.

At his silence, Dakota adds, "Plus, I've always wanted to admire your car up close."

He lets out a short breath and bites his lower lip, nodding his head. He gets off the hood and walks to the driver's side before asking her, "So my car intrigues you too?"

"No, it's a gorgeous car but it wouldn't talk back to me," She gets off as well.

"I don't like to talk."

"Then we can text."

"I don't like to text."

"Then we can write," She moves forward against the car and rests her head on the top of it.

"I don't want to do any kind of communication," He states his final thought and opens the door.

"Why are you still talking to me if you don't like to do any kind of communication?" She smirks.

"You won't give up," He sighs and can't help but give her a little smile, "I have a feeling you're going to force a friendship to happen. I'm not one to usually do this, but let's get out of here and hang elsewhere?"

"We're already friends and I could go for a slushie," She states as she steps away to open the door and get in, as does he.

"I didn't ask if you wanted to grab a slushie," He chuckles and backs out of the crowded lot.