chapter three

May 3, 2003

With the first year of college nearly done, Kai focused more on what he would major in seeing as he didn't want to change it for the rest of the years. It was hard to think of the things he could do with the side effect of his possible lasting syndrome. The career would have to be extremely flexible with him. While being in college, he did his best to keep in touch with the small circle of people he had. It was difficult to socialize with other students seeing as he kept to himself more. However, his circle slowly dwindled down to mainly Dakota and Scott. In the end, he was alone and miles away from his loved ones. He called to check in on Scott when he could and visited Dakota, who was studying in Pennsylvania. All during the weekends when he wasn't stuck with a bunch of schoolwork. 

Dakota studied journalism and would lean on Kai for help when needed on certain topics since he knew more than she did. They both couldn't wait to get out for a while and spend actual time with their family.

It was near the afternoon when Kai received a call from Scott's retirement place, "Hello?"

"Hi, Scott was wondering if you could take some of your time to see him?" An unfamiliar voice responds. They must've hired someone new.

"I can probably make some time this week if I leave right now," Kai asks while trying to hide the nervousness within his tone, "What's the deal?"

"Scott informed us he'd like to spend some time with you since you've been gone for a while. He said if college is keeping you then don't use up your time to see him. We think it'd be a great idea for him to get out of the building with you," The young-sounding woman explains.

"I'll book a flight tonight, do you know of any hotels with open rooms nearby there?"

"Of course, reservations will already be set at the Granby as the usual reservations aren't available," She replies, "It is close by to the retirement home so you won't have the hassle of traveling too far between places."

"Okay, thanks. I'll be there as soon as I can," Kai sighs before ending the call.

The flight to Washington was a long and tiring one since Kai decided to take a nonstop flight. The seats weren't the best and the leg space was tight for his height. He should have at least gotten used to all the air traveling but there was nothing great about it. Although Kai was grateful to finally be able to see Scott, his thoughts traveled to Dakota and wanting to see her most of all. Perhaps she would be visiting as well. The distance between had been tough but they always managed to stay in touch somehow, but it wasn't enough for Kai. He missed her physical presence. He got upset for a moment before moving past his thoughts to not feel so down. It was still near the afternoon when Kai landed so he dropped off his luggage at the hotel before going to see Scott.

"Scott will be right down," The young woman says. She looked to be around his age.

He runs his hand down the back of his head then jokes with her, "You sounded much more mature over the phone."

"I guess you did too," She shares a quiet laugh with him.

"Are you new here?"

"Volunteering, you must be a regular since you're on the list," She says being observant.

"I used to be, I'm finishing up college right now in New York," He replies, "I would take the regular visits to see my grandpa until he told me I didn't have to visit as much anymore."

"I would always visit my grandpa too," She nods and smiles a bit but it fades, "I just never prepared myself for the day where I couldn't visit anymore."

"I'm sorry this subject brings up such a topic," Kai's voice saddens.

"It's okay, I shouldn't have brought it up so abruptly," She says as the elevator bell dings, "Enjoy the rest of your day with Scott."