chapter eleven

June 27, 2006

After the event with Gray, Dakota asked Kai for some space to think over what to do next. He wouldn't be able to help with what she was going through. She took overtime in work to distract her from the pain inside of her. Although at the end of each day, she found herself always missing him. Only, always, him.

Kai understood Dakota needed some time to herself and he missed her but what could he do? He busied himself with visits to the art museum, improved his photography skills, and put in occasional bar times. Without Dakota, things just didn't feel complete. At the end of each day, the only thing on his mind was her. Only, always, her.

It was about half a month later when Dakota gave a call to Kai telling him she was ready to meet her mom. Kai was still hesitant and protective towards the subject. She was stubborn, though. It took many days before they reached Sacramento from Washington. When they arrived Dakota took some time to build up the courage to see her mother. She also needed to be prepared for another harmful speech if that's what she was going to get again.

"Hey, if anything goes wrong we're leaving to go someplace else. I'll get tickets for Aruba," He says before she can leave the car.

She looks at him stunned for a moment then smiles, "Okay."

She lets out a deep breath before getting out of the car to go up to the dark mahogany door and ring the doorbell. She was already feeling anxious about this, she wasn't ready to be shot down again. There was an urge to turn back and run back to the safety of Kai but she needed to stay. The door opens and she's met with a middle-aged woman that gave Dakota a soft expression.

"I'm looking for—" Dakota's voice quivers, "—I'm looking for Lucille."

"I'm Lucille, how can I help?" She frowns as Dakota's eyes start to tear up.

"My name's Dakota—and I'm—your daughter," Dakota's voice breaks.

"Dakota," Her hand goes to cover her mouth before Dakota gets pulled into a tight hug, "Would you ever forgive me for abandoning you? Forgive me for not going against your father when he didn't want me searching for you. I'm so sorry."

"I was really hoping you'd say something like that because—Gray was really harsh on me," Dakota breathes out shakily, "I don't know if I'm willing to accept your actions but I do know that I'd want you back in my life."

"If you're willing then you could stay for a while so we can get to know each other better," Lucille wipes away her tears and laughs a bit.

"You can't stay, Dakota," Kai's voice interrupts the conversation.

His voice takes her by surprise and she quickly turns to look at him with confusion. There was something wrong.

"I need you," He says quietly enough for her to hear.

Dakota stares hard at Kai, she found all the answers once she looked at his eyes. They were glossy and slightly red, he had probably held back whatever tears were left to face her. She looks back to her mother, "Right, there's something that has to be done back in Washington."

"Couldn't you stay the night here?" Lucille offers, hoping to spend more time with her.

Dakota thinks over the situation for a moment, but it was clear where her priorities were. As much as she wanted to spend more time with the reunion of meeting her mother, Kai needed her. She wouldn't place him below someone she just met, even if it was her mother.

"I'm sorry, it's best that we get back as soon as possible, matters are urgent. If anything you could fly out to meet us there later?"

Lucille's expression seems to sadden but she nods, "I understand. If you'd like I could fly out to Washington and we can catch up there."