chapter twenty

december 25, 2012

"Where we headed for dinner tonight?" Dakota asks while fixing her scarf.

"I hear everyone will be gathering at Blue's to celebrate and apparently there's free burgers, fries, and milkshakes," Kai pulls on his black leather jacket, "Sounds nice, doesn't it?"

"I hear it's quite the party so maybe we should join," She winks and puts on her boots.

"I'll go get the car started so we don't freeze on the way there," He chuckles before slipping out the door.

Dakota finishes up and goes to turn off the lights but stops to check the mail, she opens a particular one from the hospital that was sent to her. The letter from the hospital made her heart wrench, she was afraid of this exact problem happening. She quickly walks over to the desk and places the envelope under all the files of bills and documents.

They arrive at Blue's in a fair amount of time, the diner wasn't as packed as they thought it would be but there were enough people for it to be a successful night. As usual, Joey and Timmy sat in their usual booth along with Leilani and the new member, Auburn.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't my favorite couple of all time," Timmy greets them.

Joey shoots Timmy a look, "I thought we were your favorite couple."

"I love everyone equally, laddie, except for my beauty," Timmy hugs Auburn, "She gets all of my undivided love and attention."

"How much has he drank already?" Dakota rolls her eyes as she sits down.

"Are you insulting me, missy?" Timmy gets serious.

"I say Timmy probably drank a whole keg by himself," Kai smirks seeing the redness on Timmy's cheeks.

Timmy sits back against the booth and crosses his arms, "I'll drink more if I want."

"I'm not allowing that," Auburn gives him the look that would warn him.

He quits his playing and gets serious, "Understood."

Leilani speaks after all the commotion from Timmy is done. Her comment directed towards Kai, "I hear you've gotten better with your syndrome."

"With Dakota's help along with the professionals, I have," Kai glances at Dakota, "Even though I'm better and it's not much of a bother anymore, I still have a weird lingering feeling some days."

"You never told me that," Dakota raises her eyebrows in interest and clasp her hands together.

"It was nothing serious of a matter, only a feeling," He tries to play around with his words, "The serious matter is how I feel towards you."

"Oh really? And how do you feel for me exactly?"

"I'd ask Clyde to bring the champagne I've ordered for us beforehand and tell him to give you the glass with a ring in it. Of course, I'd warn you about the ring before you start drinking because knowing you, you'd end up swallowing it," Kai arches a brow and chuckles.

"Nice save," Joey high fives Kai along with Timmy who nods in agreement.

"Are you serious?" Dakota asks and can't help but break into a grin.

"Would I be kidding if I was asking you to marry me?"

"Was this an entire setup?" She questions him.

"No, it just went the way I hoped it would," He responds while shrugging.

Clyde walks out of the kitchen with glasses of champagne for the entire group. Dakota watches him walk over to their table and hand out the glasses one by one. She immediately looks into her glass then to Kai.

"Do you believe me now?" He smiles and arches his brow.

"Yes and yes," She grins and pulls him closer for a quick kiss.

"A toast to our soon to be newlyweds," Timmy speaks loudly and clinks his glass repeatedly, "Congratulations!"

The rest of the group celebrates with Timmy before Clyde returns to calm them down. Kai and Dakota laugh a bit and thank them. Timmy continues speaking, though, "But also to being here with friends. I couldn't ask for more because every single one of you make this life so much more delightful."

Everyone agrees and cheers modestly to this. The night continued on with Timmy's outrageous stories, laughter from everyone within the diner, and music that blasted from the retro jukebox. Kai had wished the night could go on forever but knew there were still many more moments in the future that could be like this.

~

Once it was starting to get near midnight, a few people started to leave after all the celebrating with games, giving, and laughter. Kai and Dakota remained as their group of friends left seeing they had other parties to attend the next day.

"More beer, Chariot?" Clyde suggests.

"I'll be done for the night, Clyde, water will do," Kai replies. When Clyde leaves, Kai focuses on Dakota who sat beside him and was beginning to fall asleep against the booth.

"What are you looking at?" She murmurs.

"My twinkling star, my world, my girl, my fiancée," He answers quietly.

She moves towards him and rests her head against his shoulder, "I think this will come out to be one of my favorite memories."

"Yeah, another day without any problems to worry or stress about. Joey told me something tonight that I'll hold onto forever. As he's admiring Leilani from a distance, he says; I'm not only in love with her, I'm also madly in love with all her flaws."

"That's such a sweet thing to say," Dakota whispers.

Kai chuckles, "Yeah, it is. I hope you got what you wished for this Christmas."

She gazes out to the window to see fresh snow on the ground and the heavy snowfall, it was like they were inside a snow globe. She responds quietly, "I did. I got a white Christmas and I got you."

"You'll always have me," He responds and takes her hands.

She closes her eyes and speaks to herself inaudibly so he doesn't hear, "Will I?"

~

Kai tosses the car keys to the kitchen table while he carries Dakota to the bedroom to lay her on the bed. He removes her scarf and boots before placing the grey blanket on her. Her hand reaches for his before he can go.

"Why'd you stop?" She asks in a barely audible voice.

He sits beside her, "Stop what?"

"Telling me that special sentence," She answers letting go of his hand and adjusting the covers.

"Because I know everything is going to be okay, and I don't need to remind you anymore when my actions can prove it," He smiles and walks off to the door, "Sweet dreams, Lynnie."