resolution

Once the police had taken our statements, and arrested Mr Sparks; everything happened quite quickly. I found a lawyer, who helped me find somewhere to live. As my mother was still not speaking to me, she was ashamed of what had happened to me, and add to that I was pressing charges; meaning that what happened to me would be public knowledge for anyone who cared enough to find out. Mrs White found a replacement teacher for Mr Sparks’ chemistry class, no-one at school was told why Mr Sparks had been fired, and I was not suspended. Most of the school started to notice that I am pregnant; it’s not something that is easy to hide in a school uniform. Matt and Lucy stood by me, and I’m glad they did. When people asked me who the father of my baby is, I told them that I don’t know; I told them it was some guy I met in a bar on my birthday, but I don’t remember him very well because of how drunk I was at the time. It was easier than the truth.

The trial finished, Mr Sparks has been put in prison for seven years. He was also ordered to pay me a sum no less than $15,000. I am now seven and a half months pregnant, and I feel that everything is now going to be alright. The place where I am living belongs to a local charity for rape victims, so the rent is cheap and there is plenty of support on hand, there are other women in my situation (well, similar anyway). Very soon I shall be a mum, and I pray that I don’t make the same mistake that my mother made.