Epilogue

"I am, am I," Corey said in obvious amusement, his lips curling up a little at the corners even though he was at work and standing next to Dresden.

"Of course, you are," the man in question said primly, making Corey's lips twitch even more. "It doesn't matter, regardless. I've marked you so you're mine."

"Most humans won't realise that," Corey pointed out logically.

There was a 'ding' sound and the elevator they were waiting for opened. Dresden held the door and tilted his head, gesturing for Corey to go in first. Ducking his head to hide his blush, he scurried inside, holding onto his pack tightly, even as his chest sang in pleasure. Dresden followed him in and crowded him against a wall.

Corey couldn't help it; he looked up to meet blue eyes that looked warmer than they had just a few weeks ago. It had been a week since they had 'mated'; something Dresden assured him was like a marriage among most supernaturals. They hadn't seen each other all that often since, and they hadn't been together in public, so he worried what with them being from rival companies. But if he was being honest with himself, he was ecstatic at Dresden's eagerness to claim him.

When soft lips touched his, he sighed and let his eyes fall shut as he went on tiptoe to press back. The kiss was chaste, a simple brush of lips that sent lazy tingles through him but they didn't do more than make him feel content.

"I missed you, Corey."

The words were whispered against his lips, making him shiver, but Dresden pulled back before he could respond in kind. Then the door opened and the other man left. It took him a second to remember where he was before quickly stepping out as the door started to close. He watched Dresden disappear around a corner and sighed as he went to his own office.

They had finished the joint project a couple of days ago. They were done faster than anyone expected of even two people, and the work had been exemplary. He didn't know about Dresden, but he had received a hefty bonus and a promotion – one that he declined, but it was nice that they offered to begin with.

Dresden had only come with him to drop the last of the files before the case was closed. It was the last time he would be spending so much time around the other man, and it made him a little sad. They lived an hour apart if there was no traffic – impossible, in the city – and with the hours they both worked finding time to see each other was going to be a pain.

In any case, once the weekend hit in two more days, he was off for a week. He hadn't told Dresden yet, but he hoped to spend the time with him. He was still weary about their relationship, new as it was, and he wasn't stupid enough to believe the effects if his earlier betrayal were gone. At least he knew Dresden would have free time if not the whole week; he contracted work to various companies but technically owned his own, and Corey had been surprised and yet not by that. It was ridiculous thinking of the man as anything other than his own boss.

Corey walked into his old office to find it empty. He wondered where Myra was before remembering she was working on her own project, not as large but no less difficult. She was lucky, though; she loved numbers more than he did so work was like play for her.

Taking his seat, he set up his computer and filed away the project documents with the company server keeping saved copies in his computer before longing out. He didn't have any other project lined up. He made a call to ops to make them aware he was available for individual jobs in between projects again. He could lighten the load for the junior accountants while he had the time.

That done, he opened up the paper work he was supposed to write up and email to his boss, who would then email it to the client, before payment could be completed. Dresden had finished his already and he had no idea why they both had to send two separate reports on the same thing; yes, there would be differences, but it would mostly just be wording. Also, his might end up short; he hated the report writing part of every job more than the math.