Chapter 3

“Your boy is a werewolf,” Lora announced as she and Myra practically marched into their shared office space. Myra had a slightly apologetic look, but he doubted she’d divulged the information.

     “Yes,” he agreed with a shrug. “He came out in college. I mean, everyone knew he was gay, anyway, so he figured he might as well.”

     The supernatural wasn’t anything of intrigue, though. They’d all been ‘outed’; shifters, witches, vampires and others people didn’t normally think of; years ago. He even knew a guy on their IT team who happened to be a psychic.

     Still, it was almost impossible to know who was one, he only knew Grayson because the guy’d told him something in his life was going to go bad. He’d almost had a heart attack, thinking he was going to die or something serious.

     Turned out, it was just Sean. Now it was Sean and Dresden Weiss, AKA, puppy-dog-eyes. The one man he’d prayed to never have the misfortune of crossing again. It was even worse now that the guy was drool-worthy.

     He bemoaned that not only had they, but they would continue for a while.

     Corey went quiet and pensive again as he reviewed everything that had happened in the meeting after they’d been called back.

     ‘Your approaches are unique and brilliant and both have potential. It’s so close we can’t choose just one. We decided to contract you both, through your respective companies of course, because it’s going to be a lot of work. I made the unfortunate decision of letting my son be in charge while I convalesced from an illness and I fear bankruptcy. I would like you both to begin by Monday. Good day gentlemen.’

     He cringed just thinking about it. A job of this magnitude could take a while, to the tune of months when he’d just barely scraped through an hour in the man’s presence. Being that close to him for moths would be torture, physically and mentally.

     On the plus side, he mused, he hadn’t thought about Sean in hours.

     “Yo, pretty boy, where’d you go?”

     Corey made a face as he refocused on Lora, who had her fists planted on her hips and an arched eyebrow. It would have been intimidating, had he not known she was at her most dangerous when she smiled.

     He had a quick flash-back of Nicky attacking Doug, one of her exes, the one and only time he’d agreed to meet her and Lora out of work, laughing hysterically the entire time. It had been a year, but he could still hear the poor guy’s soprano as his family jewels were mishandled. He cut off the thought with a shudder.

     Girls could find the image funny, and it kinda was, but he was a guy so he could relate.

     “I’m sorry, were you guys saying something?” he said innocently, giving them his ‘harmless, pleasant accountant’ face. Lora narrowed her eyes suspiciously but let it go.

     “I was saying, I just can’t believe it. You don’t cheat,” she argued. “Even on puppies,” she paused for another breath. “Besides, how the fuck could you pass up a shifter? They are the hottest piece of ass.”

     Corey released a short burst of laughter at her affronted look. Lora wasn’t a fur-chaser, the derogatory term used for any human who sought after sexual partners of the furry variety, but looks were a big thing for her. They weren’t all hot, though mostly only the attractive ones even came out with the information; if they weren’t outed first.

     His mind broke off on another thread of thought, as it often did. He wondered idly if he was the only non-heterosexual slightly affronted that the big supernatural revelation was termed synonymous with being ‘in the closet’.