Chapter 5

fromthis point, and the chapters coming ahead, there's going to be adult content, so if malexmale action isn't your thing, don't read. the book is almost done, just a few chapters left. the chapter isn't edited yet, but i'm confident enough in it to post. please review and tell me if i could improve anything for you :)

     The loft Dresden led him to was in the upper east side of town, just far enough away from the hustle and bustle for quiet but still within the city. It was, and this really didn’t surprise Corey, smack in the middle of all the rich and noveau riche neighbourhoods.

     It was big, almost three times Corey’s own apartment with open spaces and more windows than walls, with a monochrome interior that made Corey nervous with all the white available to smudge. It was elegant with rich tastes, but flat like most such spaces tended to be; a show room more than a home.

     Corey almost wished they’d done this at his home, but the thought of Dresden anywhere near his personal space gave him heart palpitations.

     Still, they’d been in here for hours, sitting side by side on a long, white couch that probably cost more than everything he owned in a shade of white that made him twitchy. They had divided the hard copy files between them but even then they’d only gone through a few inches of the files. Well, to be honest, his were less, but even then. The acute silence, as well as the lack of colour was slowly driving him out of his mind.

     In his apartment, there was colour everywhere. Every room had some nauseating mixture of brown and blue and red and yellow, and though the colours did terribly clash, the absolute absence of it wouldn’t leave his mind.

     He could have smacked himself, really. Of all the things to be so hung up on, what with being in Dresden Weiss’ place, and all the work they had to do, he had a problem with the colour, or lack thereof.

     He just barely stopped himself from sighing irritably, reminding himself he wasn’t alone and he was here to do some work. They were working on a deadline, after all, though no one would give them said deadline and that really didn’t help the way they were probably hoping it would.

     He idly rubbed his brow before forcing his concentration on the paper he was looking at, a briefly scrawled transaction worth millions actually written on paper. Just barely, he groused silently, wishing for his reading glasses as he tried, and failed, to read through the chicken scratch for the fifth time. What kind of idiot wrote this down and claimed to be heir to a million dollar corporation, however small it was? If his dad hadn’t come into the picture when he had, father and son and everyone with a stake in it would have gone bankrupt.

     Something moved out of the corner of his eye, and he really wasn’t making much attention so he jumped with a yelp, realizing half a second later it was Dresden sitting back down. He hadn’t even noticed him get up. He was also I possession of two glasses and a bottle of brandy, and Corey cursed whatever about his nature made him so quiet.

     Ordinary humans just couldn’t move like that, and it was all that was necessary to remind him he was in the home of a predator and he wouldn’t leave unless allowed to. The sudden realisation, that really should have been obvious, made him both hot and cold at the same time. Really, if it wasn’t for the fact that paranormal activity was closely monitored by normal and paranormals both, he’d have run screaming before he walked in here of his own free will. Still, however well-based, Dresden didn’t like him, and that made him shifty to be alone with the other man.

     Dresden obviously caught his fear, if the sudden, if small wry smile that crossed his face was any indication. It was only a slight twitch at the corners of his lips but it was there and showed clear amusement. Not that Corey found anything in the situation funny.