Chapter 7

sorry for the late update, i have a term paper (boring) but i'll try to catch up with everything. i might edit this chapter again, but another two or three more chapters in this and the book is done :) enjoy

     Corey wanted him gone.

     He watched Sean walk through his kitchen, take his food, sit on his sofa and put his feet up on a coffee table that had been a gift from his mother. A while ago, he had been upset that Sean had walked out of his life, and now he wondered why it had ever bothered him.

     The guy was an ass.

     Of course when he’d asked about breakfast, Corey knew it meant him making breakfast and Sean eating while he was waited on hand and foot. When he hadn’t, Sean invited himself in to help himself. During all this Corey said nothing, too stunned to think of protesting.

     And Corey had no idea how to make him leave. He wasn’t confrontational, hated it actually, so it was impossible for him to just order the guy out, though the words hung at the tip of his tongue, practically begging to be let out. He kept his mouth shut and watched instead, hoping Sean would get the message anyway. Not that he had any real hope for that.

     “Do you mind if I bring my stuff up? I left everything in the car so I could ask if it was okay.”

     Corey raised his eyebrows at the mumbled words, surprised Sean would even bother asking, though he more along the lines of ‘said with his mouth full’. He rubbed the bridge of his nose to stave off the headache threatening behind his eyes. Had he actually put up with this for two years, or had he really just been that much of an idiot?

     “Now, why would you go and do that?” he replied tiredly, not in the mood for Sean’s crap. He wanted a shower, then to sleep some more. Then, maybe he would be awake enough to decide how he was going to face Dresden Weiss when he had to go back to the office. Because Sean was so far from his mind and he didn’t want him back anymore, as surprised as he was to realize that.

     “Because the last time we tried to talk you wouldn’t listen. I went away for a little bit to give you some time, but I wanted to talk to you because I think we can still work things out.”

     Corey had no idea where this conversation had come from. He narrowed his eyes at Sean, though he was too busy inhaling food that wasn’t his to see it. Something must have happened with the woman he had been seeing to bring him back so quickly. Corey debated asking, but shook his since he didn’t really care enough about the answer.

     Yes, he had been cheated on; and with a woman no less. His pride had taken a hit but he could recover from that. Whatever he’d deluded himself into thinking he’d felt for Sean was obviously gone, and he liked it that way.

     I must have been on something without realising to not know any of this sooner. What the fuck have I been smoking for the better part of two years? He could have saved himself a lot of angst.

     “So who was she?” he asked suddenly, and Sean must have been surprised as he was at his abruptness because he stopped chewing the mouthful of egg and ham and stared. He put the plate down on the table, chewing his food slowly until he could swallow and gave Corey an indulgent look. It irritated him, because Sean was looking at him like he was a child and not the adult he actually was.

      “Look, Corey, I already told you-”

     “If you know what’s good for you, Sean,” he said in his sudden ire, “you will tell me the truth or so help me I will hit you in the head with the closest heavy object I can find and drag you all the way to the curb. Yes, even down the stairs.” His fingers twitched as his eyes flickered to the heavy glass vase in the middle of the table, just dying to carry out his threat.