chapter nine

(I don't usually put notes like this, but omg. Selena's album Revival is so freaking good, but the deluxe has a song on it called "Perfect" and I just think it fits Delilah pretty good and so does "Camouflage" tbh and they're both so sad but beautiful and... sorry, proud fan here, haha. enjoy the chapter x)

chapter nine

"DAD? IT'S ME."

"Delilah! Well, it certainly took you long enough to call."

I twisted the hem of my shirt around my fingers. "I know. I'm sorry. I've been... busy. Sort of. I don't know." I inhaled sharply. "Is Mom around?"

Dad lowered his tone in concern. "Is everything alright, sweetheart?"

Something about talking to your parents always makes you want to cry. I felt brave enough for this discussion when I was prepping myself moments ago, not the slightest crack in my voice. Now I was struggling to swallow the lump in my throat.

"Yeah," I lied, the quiver in my voice giving my away. "I just... I need to talk to her. To both of you, but..."

He was quiet a moment. "Boy talk is a mother-daughter thing. I get it. But you're okay, right?"

"Of course." The lies kept spilling, and it was frightening how natural they felt.

"Mandy!" he yelled in the background, his mouth from the speaker but obviously not very far. I pulled the phone away from my ear until I heard him speaking softly again. "It's Delilah."

"And here I thought you forgot about us," she teased.

Blinking water from my eyes, a knot curled in my stomach that could only form due to being homesick. When was the last time I'd called them? Seen them? I couldn't even remember. I was a horrible daughter. A horrible person.

"Sweetie?" she whispered, bringing me back to reality. "What's going on?"

Taking in a shaky breath, I just blurted it out. "Can I come back home?"

"What kind of question is that? Of course you can."

"I mean... for longer than just a visit."

It was her turn to be quiet a moment. "Justin?"

A tear rolled down my cheek and I wiped it away in fury. But even being frustrated wasn't enough to keep my voice from breaking. "Yeah."

"Are you coming today?"

"If that's alright."

"Delilah, stop being foolish. We'll be waiting for you, baby."

"I love you. Dad, too."

I could hear the smile in her voice and warmth spread through me. "And we love you."

When I hung up the phone, I sat there for a moment and brought my knees to my chest. I ran a hand through my hair, using my sweater sleeve to dry the stray tears. I kept reminding myself it was stupid to continue crying. Tears get you nowhere except more tears. I was surprised I still had it in me. I felt like I could cry for an endless amount of years.

There was a single knock on the doorframe. Harry stood there with a knowing look in his eyes. I glanced around his guestroom, the bed he let me sleep in, the corner where my single suitcase sat, the chair where I'm sat in now and the window to my right. He'd already received an abundant amount of gratitude from me, but no mere "thank you" would ever sum up how grateful I was for him.

He cleared his throat. "I, uh. I just finished the cake. Does that make me a bad fitness trainer?"

I couldn't help but grin a little. "Makes you the worst."