chapter eleven

chapter eleven

"I'LL DRIVE YOU."

"Absolutely not."

"We can have sibling talk during the drive."

"I'm not up for an interrogation, Nat."

"I just want to get the awkward meeting out of the way. Is that such a crime?" He gave me a look, twirled his keys around his finger. He was standing in front of the door, so even if I kept arguing, it would be a waste of breath.

"Fine, whatever. Just don't be... too awkward," I muttered as he opened the door, leading me out to his truck.

I got into the passenger seat, pulling out my phone. Harry deserved a warning, in the least. I could see his face when I exited the car with a buff man beside me, glaring at him up and down. God, how humiliating. I loved my brother, but did brothers ever stop being protective? I've been on my own just fine for a few years now. Well, mostly fine.

From Delilah:

Fair warning, my brother is dropping me off. I'm sorry, but you might what to brace yourself for any awkward questions.

"Hey, don't warn him! That's an advantage!" Nat went to grab my phone, but I held it back.

"Keep your eyes on the road," I said. "The least you could do is get me there in one piece."

Nat rolled his eyes. "I'm an expert driver."

I chuckled just as my phone chimed with Harry's response.

From Harry:

O_O .... should I be scared?

From Delilah:

Nahh, he's a fluffball at heart.

From Harry:

I'm not sure that's any sort of reassurance for me, love.

"'Love'? What is he, British?"

I looked up just as Nat was grazing into the other lane. "Nathan!"

He jerked back into the right lane.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "How about you stop being nosy, 'expert driver'?"

He blew air out of his cheeks, clearly shaken up about what just happened as well. Thankfully, there had only been one oncoming car, though at a distance. "Yeah, I'll give you that."

The rest of the drive was quiet. I leaned my head against the window, a dull throb beginning to form. Why did these headaches keep coming? I shut my eyes to try and block it out, and it worked, if only for a little while.

Nat paid attention to the road and I told Harry we were close. When Nat pulled into the parking lot of the theater, I skimmed for Harry's car. I directed Nat towards it, and already he was judging Harry. Merely on the car he drove. He hadn't spoken it aloud, but he was furrowing his eyebrows and gazing crudely.

I slapped him in the shoulder. "Chill out, would you?"

"Just being a big brother."

Harry got out the same time I did, Nat following shortly behind. Harry offered me a smile, yet I almost laughed at how nervous he looked. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that Nat wouldn't like him, though. It was hard to not like Harry. He just naturally gave off a good impression, and what you saw was what you got with him. Laid back, caring, and an overall great friend. It was relieving to finally admit all of these things. For so long, I convinced myself he were a liar. I couldn't believe I was ever so blind.