february 1st.

6:47 a.m.

Jimin crunched on part of his his lunch, or "lunch" in quotations, because it ended up being breakfast half the time anyway.

A bag of almonds in his lap, his lensed eyes traced Warsan Shire's verse ravenously as he sat and awaited the 6:54 monorail. Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth was even better than he'd originally imagined; although drowsy he was fully enveloped in the world of Shire and war, so much that he no longer paid attention to his freezing fingers as they curled around his moving, annotating pen.

"Hey, you."

Jimin couldn't help the quickness with which his eyes rolled. He just couldn't.

"It's Jimin, t-thank you," His teeth clacked in a sudden shiver. His red cheeks matched the thick crocheted scarf wrapped around his neck and draped into his lap. Jimin often wore it on crisp winter mornings like these, pulled it up to keep Taehyung close, like his own warm breath.

"Oh, so that's your name. Jimin!"

Jimin looked at Yoongi, whose smile could drive a man to drink and kissed his teeth. "씨ㅣㅣㅣ발..."

"You're Korean! Me too." Yoongi replied in their mother tongue as he unlocked his phone, his Korean spoken much huskier and through the diaphragm. "야. Let's talk shit about everyone. They don't understand us. What do you think of her outfit? Those shoes and those pants?" Yoongi pointed with his lips.

Jimin's stare said are you dumb? Yoongi resigned.

"Okay, guess we won't do that," He raised his brows then dropped them. As if Jimin was the weird one.

Yoongi sat beside Jimin on the bench, patting his stomach with gloved fingers, "I'm hungry. I had to skip breakfast to make it here on time."

"I asked?" Jimin said. His voice, surprise surprise, dripped with sarcasm. He should have known better than to expect Yoongi to read the room and shut up.

Both boys were, on the contrary, early today. And as they waited in silence, the weight of his own words sunk in. Jimin couldn't believe it, but he actually felt bad for being so rude to Yoongi -- especially since he had more than enough almonds today.

Shaking his head in disbelief at his compassion, Jimin tossed one last almond into his mouth before stretching the rest of the bag to his unsolicited acquaintance. He might regret it later, but he knew it was right to do.

Allegedly.

"Really?" Asked Yoongi, brown eyes alight and catching the morning sun.

Hesitantly, he nodded.

Highlighter Head snacked on the almonds, not even once stopping to thank him, but hey! At least Jimin could read in peace, right?

The monorail came rolling into Trescott Avenue minutes later, arriving with its usual screech and halt. Jimin shut his book and got up from the bench to board but Yoongi did not follow. Instead he stayed in his seat, which was odd, since he did say he wanted to be on time today.

"I feel weird," said Yoongi, scratching at the base of his throat.

Jimin swiped his CityPass in the machine, not thinking much of the statement.

The boy wheezed.

"Jimin," he said hoarsely. "I can't breathe."

Jimin finally looked back at him with disinterest. His eyes widened at the sight that met him. He dropped his bag, fell to his knees, palming the hot, bloating face in his hands.

"Someone call an ambulance!"

"I-I don't have my Epi..." he said on his knees, trailing off at a loss for breath.

"Save your breath!"

"I have it... I-I... I have--"

"Yoongi, shut up!" Jimin said harshly, laying the man gently to the pavement. "Does anyone have an EpiPen?!"

Confused and alarm stares met his own, fear and irritation compounded into it. He started to do chest compressions, hoping that one of the idiots on the platform wasn't dull enough to let Yoongi die here. He pushed and pushed and pushed his palm, Yoongi's eyes wide and staring, but he couldn't bear to look at him.

The adrenaline surged through him, shockwave after shockwave, so much that he couldn't feel his numbed arms until the EMT's had pulled Yoongi from under him. Didn't know he had been doing it for ten minutes. Didn't think twice about pressing his lips to Yoongi's in his teary-eyed panic, even though his breath was fruitless on a throat swole shut.

Turns out Yoongi can shut up. If he's passed out, that is.

No, don't think that. That's mean.

Well... it is true.

I'm going to hell.