march 20th.

4:01 p.m.

Today was the best day of the year.

He got paid; picked up his UberEats order from his favorite Szechuan restaurant, where he found that he had accidentally received a second order of duck for free; received a Facetime call from Yoongi during the train ride home to show off his second tattoo, his mother's name on his rib; was overcome by a sudden urge for change, so he changed, and changed his old tortoiseshell glasses with his spring frames, clear specs which were much more modern and brightened his face tremendously; dyed his hair a luscious, powdery blue that he knew would look funny when he sat beside Yoongi in their canada Gooses again, like mirrors of each other; and went to the roof and ate, his food on the ledge while he silently overlooked the loud world turning below him.

And in truth, it was all incredibly ordinary. Still he could not help but feel like today was a little adventure, and was excited to have broken from his boring routine. There was a bounce to his step as he traipsed down the stairs and the hall to his apartment singing the chorus of a rap song Yoongi put him onto. 

Jimin felt alive. He opened up the door to his apartment with an unconscious grin and on his couch, reading one of the many novels from the big white bookshelf, was the first boy.

The prelude. The inspiration for pretty words, and dreams, that still painted the backs of his eyelids when the day went to rest.

Taehyung.

"Hey," He spoke shyly, his voice interlaced with warmth like his fingers. "I see you never changed the locks."

His smile was wide and bright as he got up from the seat to greet Jimin, perhaps brighter than it had been in his memory.

Jimin dropped his satchel to the ground, not knowing what to feel. Should he be indifferent or emotional? Should he swing him around in circles like in the movies, kiss him, or hug him? He wanted to kick him out-- no, he wanted to sit him down-- no! He wanted to wilt and crumple but he didn't know. There was so much whirlpooling in him, he thought he might pass out from virtigo.

But here he was.

"Tae."

His boyfriend toyed with the knit of his red scarf and smiled knowingly. Then the hairs on his Canada Goose. Jimin thought about Yoongi's blue one. And Taehyung's smile was beautiful, as always, but... things were different so suddenly. Jimin feigned one for his sake, praying he wouldn't see the lie catching in his teeth.

Jimin's breath hitched in his throat when Taehyung came close. All of him soaking in all of Taehyung, this familiar unfamiliar man; all of Taehyung, soaking up all of him. A face looking at a face. He loved him so much. He loved him so much. If he loved him so much, how could he let Yoongi in?

Taehyung tilted his head. He was oblivious. If he really wanted to, he could have his cake and eat it too. He didn't want that though. He wanted to be honest... but they would leave.

But that was selfish.

But fuck, he didn't ask for this.

He knew he had to tell Taehyung about Yoongi eventually, but he couldn't now, and that he had to tell Yoongi about Taehyung-- would he ever? His mind raced trying to weave the right words together, but in the end he blanked anyway.

Taehyung hugged him while he waited on him to speak. His arms, hidden beneath blush pink sleeves, slowly slid under Jimin's arms and locked around the small of his back. He placed his ear to his boyfriend's shoulder, so close that the tendrils of hair tickled Jimin's jawline.

And his heart only seemed to be pumping guilt deeper and deeper into his every artery, vein, and cell. He felt it in every fiber of his being; yes, he was sure--  it was the only feeling which he could properly identify at the moment.

"You're here," He'd finally said, sending a hand to the head of hair which rested just beneath his chin.

"I missed you, baby." Taehyung added.

"I..." Jimin trailed off, "missed you too, my love."

He meant it. Jimin meant it from the bottom of his heart.

It would kill Yoongi him how much he meant it.