Chapter 2: Family Ties

*Present Day*

"What do you mean you're not going to college?" Gemma asked, practically foaming at the mouth. Henley stopped her march to her bedroom, turning around to face her aunt.

"Okay, in hindsight, I guess I should've reworded that. I am going to college. I'm just taking a gap year. . .to figure things out. I already approved it with Boston University, plus I skipped a grade, so when I start I'll be the same age as everyone else," Henley answered, walking up to her aunt, a coy smile splayed across her face.

Gem scoffed at her, "What could you possibly have to figure out? Henley, you are a straight A student. You got accepted to Boston University. Sweetie, you can finally get out of Denver." Henley's smirk faded, as she stared at the floor mumbling one single word.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Gem asked, leaning down to Henley's height.

"I said, Dad." Henley looked up to see her aunt's face pulled into a frown.

"Oh, um. . .yeah, I just figured you didn't want to have anything to do with your father. You never brought it up," she stated, plopping down on their tattered brown leather sofa. Henley sat down next to Gem, scooting close so that she could rest her head on her aunt's shoulder.

Henley took a deep breath, "I didn't used to want to know anything about him. I tried to forget I even had a dad. Though now. . .I just need to know where I came from. Who I am. I have to know if he really just abandoned me and mom, or if there is more to the story. It'll always bother me if I don't try."

Gem sighed, "Well, I can tell you what I know, from what your mom told me, before her death." Henley's head shot up, eyes wide with interest. Gem cleared her throat, "Your dad's name is Dean. He never attended college. He traveled with his father and little brother all over the United States. From what your mom said, he loves cars, and his dad used to drive a 1967 black Chevy Impala. Who knows, maybe he drives it now."

Henley nodded, getting up. "Thanks, but I already knew all that stuff, well besides the college and car. I remember hearing mom mention his name before, and I did some digging on the internet and found out about his brother, as well as a few leads. One is in Lawrence, Kansas and the other is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I know it's not a lot to go on, but it's a start." Gem had a look of surprise on her face, but it soon subsided, realizing she was talking to the master of deduction.

"Wait, when are you planning on leaving?" Gem asked, walking up to her.

"As soon as possible. I'm on a time limit. I only have a year to find this guy, and even then, figure out if he wants anything to do with me," she explained, darting down the hall to her room. Gemma watched her shove things into her suitcase, and smiled, walking down to her own bedroom, returning a moment later with a small wooden box. Henley felt a presence behind her, and turned around to see Gem.

"I have something for you. It was your mothers," she said, sitting down on Henley's rickety old bed. Henley watched as the box slowly open, eyes wide with curiosity. Henley held out her hand as her aunt gently set a bracelet in her palm. She twisted it over, reading the engraving on the bullet.

"Why is it on a bullet?" Henley questioned, sliding it on her wrist.

"I don't know, your mom never told me. She never took that bracelet off though, wore it until the day. . .um. . .the day of the car crash." Gem let out a cough, reaching in the box and pulling out an old, crinkled picture. Henley eyed it, her interest peaked. It was a picture of a tall man with light brown hair and green eyes. His smile showed off his perfect white teeth, but their was a something mischievous about his smile. One that was much like her own. He wore a beat up brown leather jacket, with a plain black t-shirt underneath. A women was next to him, her arm wrapped around his back. She had strait sandy blonde hair, and dark brown eyes. She was quite a bit shorter than the man, but she was defiantly taller than Henley. She frowned, examining herself. How come her dad was so tall but she was only 5'2? Yep, she was defiantly gypped in the gene pool. Henley sauntered over to her closet, riffling through her jackets before pulling out her faux black leather one, and slipping it on over her Marauders Map tank top.

"How do I look?" Henley asked, modeling off her jacket. 

Gem shook her head, smiling slightly. "You look like your dad." Henley walked over to her aunt, gesturing to the photo of her parents.

"Do you mind if I have it?" she asked, knowing it was one of the few pictures Gem had of her sister.

"Of course not, sweetie." Henley tucked the picture into her inside jacket pocket, returning to her packing. Gem stood up, heading to the bedroom door, then turned around.

"Do you want me to come with you? Because I can, for safety reasons of course. I mean you don't know what type of guy he is," Gem rambled, fiddling with the latch on the wooden box.

"No, thanks for the offer, but I mean I was going to go to college by myself anyway," Henley answered. "I know this is different, but I promise to call every day. This is just something I have to do on my own."

Gem nodded in understanding. "I know, and you can call me more than once a day." She rubbed her eyes with the sleeve of her sweater. "I'm going to miss you so much. You're all I've got kid." Henley smiled sadly, setting down her bag of electronics and chargers, embracing Gem in a hug.

Henley gripped her aunt tighter, "I'm going to miss you so much more, but don't worry about me. I still have the pink taser you got me for my birthday last year. Plus, those self defense classes will most certainly keep any unwanted people away." Gem sniffled, letting out a half-hearted laugh.

Gem grabbed her niece's suitcase. "I'll take this out to your car, and start it up." Henley gave a small nod, shoving her laptop cable into her laptop bag. Once her aunt was gone she took a long look around the room. She sure was going to miss this place, but this was something she had to do. Henley grabbed her pillow off her bed along with her Tardis blanket, and made her way outside. Gem was stood next to her beat up white Ford Pinto, holding onto her open car door. Henley placed her stuff into the backseat, giving one last hug to her aunt. "Where are you headed to first?" Gem asked, as Henley slid into the driver's seat.

"I'm pretty sure there is a person who knows Dean in Sioux Falls, so I'm going to try and be there within five days. I'll drive to Big Springs Nebraska today, since It'll be dark in three hours and it's only a two hour and forty five minute drive." Gem nodded, pulling out her credit card holder. "No, Aunt Gem I can't ask you to do that."

Gem sighed, "No, you are going to need money for food and a hotel room. Plus I'm pretty sure 800 hundred dollars won't cover much between gas among other things. You deserved to know your mom, and you have a chance to find your dad. I'm going to help any way I can." Henley took the chase visa from her aunt, stuffing it in her purse. Giving Gem one last smile, she backed out of the concrete driveway, heading towards her future.