Chapter 2

Hiccup continued screaming as he scrambled to stand back up. He spun on his heels and dashed the way he had come. He glanced back to see the boy slowly following. Hiccup smiled. He could easily get away if all the boy did was walk!

Hiccup reeled back in pain as he slammed into a tree. He placed a hand over his eye and groaned, glaring at the tree as if it was the tree's fault for being there. He quickly looked behind him to see the boy getting closer. Hiccup again stumbled to stand up and continue running. His lungs burned as he was not used to running this much at once. Branches snagged his jacket as if they were trying to help stop him from getting away, but Hiccup continued on. He didn't care what his father thought of him at that point, Hiccup would rather face him then whatever was chasing him.

Hiccup burst through the last of the trees and ran onto the bridge. Out of breath, he glanced behind him once again since there were no trees to pop up in front of him this time. Hiccup paused from running when he saw the space behind him empty. Hiccup smiled and laughed while still out of breath. What was he thinking? A boy corpse chasing him? He had to be seeing things. Probably because he was so emotional. Hiccup turned to walk back home and felt his heart leap into his throat as the boy stood right in front of him.

"Why did you run away?" the boy asked, walking closer. Hiccup backed away until his back hit the side of the bridge. The pale boy rested his hands on the side of the bridge on either side of Hiccup, blocking any exit the small boy would have had. Hiccup's breath continued to quicken as the boy leaned in closer. Hiccup felt as if his heart was going to beat right out of his chest in fear and suddenly everything went dark.

xxx

Hiccup groaned as his head felt like it was going to split open. A cold hand being placed on his forehead made Hiccup jump in surprise and fling his eyes open. There was the boy's face, inches from his own.

"Are you okay? You fainted," the boy said.

Hiccup screamed and backed away, bumping into something behind him. A skeleton head fell into his lap.

"Whoops, sorry," the head said.

Hiccup screamed again and scampered away from the talking skeleton head. Hiccup slowly stood up looking around to take in the situation. It looked like he was in a bar of some sort.

"A new arrival!" someone shouted.

"But he's alive."

"Did you do this?"

Hiccup backed up until his back hit a wall. All around him were walking skeletons and people with dark blue skin. Some had weapons sticking out with bones exposed. Hiccup shook his head. This couldn't be real.

"I had to," the boy said with a shrug. "He proposed."

The whole room was suddenly an uproar, with everyone seeming to be happy and congratulating them. A boney hand fell on Hiccup's shoulder.

"Congrates!" the skeleton exclaimed. Hiccup backed away.

"Woah woah, w-what is going on here?! I d-d-did not p-propose!" Hiccup exclaimed, trying not to sound scared but failing miserably.

"Yes you did. You gave me the ring," the boy said, holding up his left hand to show the ring on his finger.

"I-I threw that! That doesn't mean I gave it to you!" Hiccup countered.

"You said to take it," the boy said with a smile.

"B-but... I... ugh!" Hiccup groaned, throwing his hands up in the air in defeat. "How is throwing a ring and saying to take it the same as proposing?!"

He shrugged. "That's how I took it. Don't worry, it's fine."

"It is not fine! This is anything but fine!" Hiccup shouted. He hit the palm of his hand to his face. "Wake up! Wake up!" Hiccup said to himself and he continued hitting his head. Cold fingers wrapped around his wrists and pulled his hand away so he couldn't hit himself anymore.

"Stop that. You're not sleeping."

"I have to be! T-this can't be real!" Hiccup yelled, pulling his hands away from the boy. Hiccup saw the door and ran out of the strange place. He stopped dead in his tracks as he looked around. It was just like a normal town, except that there was no sky and everybody in it was obviously dead in some way. Blue skin and bones walked normally down the street in normal conversation.

"Hiccup! Where are you going?"

"H-how do you know my name?" Hiccup asked, backing away from the strange boy.

"Oh, I visit the Land of the Living sometimes and just hang around. I've seen you before. My name is Jack, by the way."

"That's creepy," Hiccup said, continuing to back away. "Look, I just want to go home."

"This is your home now, silly. I can't live up there, so you'll just have to live down here," Jack said matter-of-factly. "And why would you want to go back up there anyway? They made you cry."

Hiccup felt his face heat up in embarrassment. "I was not crying!"

Jack laughed, showing his bright white teeth in his crooked smile. "You sound just like a child."

"I am not a child!" Hiccup pouted.

"Really? You look like one to me," Jack said, slowly making his way closer to the living boy. Hiccup was so upset he didn't even notice.

"Like you know! I'll have you know that I am sixteen! That is not a-" Hiccup was cut off on his rant as the colder boy's lips pressed against his. Hiccup's eyes widened in surprise and he quickly reeled away, his face bright red. "What was that?!"

"A kiss," Jack said nonchalantly.

"B-but we are both guys! And we just met!"

"You should have thought of that before you proposed to me," Jack said.

"I didn't! When are you going to listen to me?" Hiccup yelled, his face still flaring. He turned away from Jack and quickly darted off. Why would he do that? He just kissed him out of the blue! Not to mention it was Hiccup's first kiss. And it was with a guy! A dead guy! Hiccup continued running as fast as his feet would take him.

He had to be dreaming.

This couldn't be happening.

But yet, here he was. In the Land of the Dead.