Chapter 6

Jack walked absentmindedly through the streets without paying much attention to the people walking by. He was too deep in thought about what North had said. Okay, fine, they couldn't get married. That was fine as long as Jack was with Hiccup.

But the stupid thought of Hiccup not being able to survive down here kept nagging at him. He was fine, wasn't he? There was nothing wrong with the boy. It wasn't as if North knew for sure that a living person couldn't survive in the Land of the Dead. His contradicting thoughts kept circling around as Jack made his way back to his house.

When Jack walked inside, he noticed that Hiccup was fast asleep in the bed. Jack sighed, wanting to just forget about everything and crawl into bed with him. He stared at the small boy's peaceful face. Maybe he'd keep him here just a little while longer. Then he'll bring him home. Jack frowned. As much as he wanted to keep Hiccup here forever, Jack wouldn't be able to stand it if Hiccup died down here.

Hiccup groggily blinked his eyes open. "Jack...?" Hiccup yawned.

Jack smiled at the cute boy. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. I'll sleep on the floor."

Hiccup propped himself on his elbow. "No, I guess it's alright if you also sleep on the bed. Just keep to your side."

Jack beamed and jumped into bed.

"Remember keep to your side," Hiccup repeated, laying back down.

"What if my side is where you are?" Jack said by Hiccup's ear, making the boy shiver at the cold breath. Hiccup batted Jack away.

"Then I'll move," Hiccup said simply, happy that the darkness hid his blush.

Jack laughed. "You're so serious."

"I thought I was a child."

"It's weird how you can be both," Jack smirked, settling down into bed. "Goodnight."

Hiccup hesitated, not hearing those words from someone in quite a long time. "Goodnight."

xxx

Hiccup gradually woke up from a good night's rest. In fact, he was surprised how well he had slept under the circumstances. Slowly Hiccup came to realize arms were draped around him and held on tightly.

Hiccup turned to face the dead boy to yell at him but paused as he saw how peaceful Jack's face looked when he was sleeping. It was as if he didn't have a care in the world. Maybe it was too rude to wake him up for something like that. It wasn't as if someone had control over what they were doing when they were asleep.

Suddenly Jack's arm pulled Hiccup even closer to the sleeping boy, making Hiccup's face flush red as it was pressed against Jack's chest. He then felt as the white haired boy placed a kiss on his forehead.

"You didn't pull away," Jack said with a smirk.

Hiccup scowled and pushed at Jack's chest to back away but the dead boy had quite the grip. "You were awake?!"

"For awhile now, yes," Jack admitted. "I really expected you to hit me when you woke up. But you didn't," he finished with a smile.

"You bastard!" Hiccup yelled, finally pulling free and once again falling off the bed.

"Hiccup! What's the big deal?"

Hiccup's face flared red. "The big deal is how easily you're okay with this! And not just the whole us being guys thing, but just that some random stranger threw a ring and you took it as a proposal! It could have been anyone and you would have been so loving towards them, and I'm mad at myself for getting upset over it!" Hiccup yelled, suddenly going into a fit of coughs by the end of the rant. He fell to his knees as he tried to get in a breath.

Jack, still slightly surprised by the outburst, quickly ran to Hiccup's side and rubbed his back until Hiccup slowly regained his breath.

"You're wrong, you know," Jack finally said as Hiccup calmed down. "If anyone else would have done the same thing I wouldn't have done anything."

Hiccup looked up questionably. "What?"

"Remember when I said I visited the Land of the Living a lot and that I sometimes saw you? Well, it was more than sometimes. The main reason I continued going up there was to see how you were doing. I don't know when, but eventually I just started liking you. So when you were ranting in the forest and threw the ring, I figured I couldn't let the opportunity go to waste."

Hiccup stared at Jack dumbfounded. "That's a little creepy."

"That's why I didn't tell you," Jack said, looking down. "I hated how people treated you and I hated seeing you alone, but I could never show myself to you in fear of how you would react."

"I guess I didn't react too great, huh?" Hiccup half-laughed.

Jack smiled slightly. "I could have made a better entrance," he confessed.

"Yeah, that wasn't the best first impression," Hiccup smiled as he stared up at Jack. He couldn't help but feel somewhat relieved that Jack didn't just like him because he 'proposed'. He actually liked him before that. Which was really creepy.

"Wait, so how long have you been watching me?" Hiccup questioned.

"Well, it wasn't as if I continuously watched you. It was sporadic. But I guess I first saw you when you were about ten. I think that's when you set the forest and half the town on fire."

"We don't talk about that day," Hiccup blushed in embarrassment.

Jack laughed. "Boy, was I glad I was topside when that happened! That's what drew me to you in the first place. I had to see the genius who did it. I was disappointed when it wasn't a delinquent who did it on purpose. Instead I saw a frightened kid whose dad was pissed."

Hiccup rubbed the back of his neck. "So what you are saying is that if I never set that fire accidently then none of this probably would have happened."

Jack's smile dropped and he shrugged. "Maybe."

"I guess I can never say 'I wish it didn't happen' ever again," Hiccup mumbled to the side.

Jack perked up and looked at Hiccup with wide eyes, but if he was expecting something else he didn't get it. Hiccup just quickly stood up. "So, what exactly are we going to do today?" Hiccup asked.

Jack smiled, barely containing his excitement as he leapt to his feet. What Hiccup had said was running though Jack's mind and would probably never leave. Even if he didn't mean it in a romantic way, it still meant that Hiccup was glad he met Jack. And Jack would take that after everything that had happened.

"We are going to go out and have fun!"