Chapter 10

Hiccup woke up with a throbbing head. He went to touch his aching head only to find out his hands were shackled behind his back. Suddenly Hiccup remembered what had happened. He opened his eyes and looked around. He was in a small room with three concrete walls and one made of bars. He was in a cell.

"Hello?" Hiccup called out, struggling to stand up and then walking over to the barred opening. They weren't your normal vertical bars cells were usually made out of. They crisscrossed in every which way, each opening too small for even Hiccup to squeeze through.

"Ah, Sleeping Beauty is awake," a loud voice boomed. A man walked into Hiccup's sight, grinning. Three purple lines went across his left eye as if he was wearing war paint.

"Why am I here?" Hiccup asked, doing his best not to sound afraid.

"I thought the son of the mayor would be smarter than that," the man laughed, a little too much Hiccup thought. "We are using you for ransom."

"You're wasting your time," Hiccup said sharply. "You won't get much for me. My dad doesn't exactly want me around."

"We will see about that. I have men dropping off the ransom letter as we speak."

"Then you'll see that I'm right," Hiccup spat.

Quicker than Hiccup could follow, the man reached through the bars and grabbed a handful of Hiccup's hair. He pulled on it, slamming Hiccup's face roughly against the bars.

"If I were you, I would realize the situation I was in and show a little respect," the man said in a scarily calm voice that made Hiccup shiver. "Let's start with don't speak unless spoken to."

"Dagur! The note has been received," an older man said as he entered the room. "But it was some girl who first got it. She gave it to the mayor though, we made sure of that."

The man, Dagur, tossed Hiccup away. Hiccup gratefully backed out of arms reached, tripping on his own feet and falling backwards on the way. He wished he could rub his sore head. But who was the girl they were talking about? There shouldn't have been a girl there.

"Good job, Savage. We will see in three days what the decision will be," Dagur said, grinning at Hiccup. "So get comfortable."

"With all of this dirt? How can I not?" Hiccup said sarcastically.

Dagur smiled. "Watch that mouth of yours, Hiccup. All I have to do is return you alive. Who says you need to be in perfect condition?"

xxx

"Three days!" Astrid said out of breath. "Three days they want to trade Hiccup for money at some old lot south of town, and the worst part is I don't think Hiccup's father is going to do anything! I mean, I could be wrong and maybe he was just shocked and that's why he didn't really pay attention to what I was saying and such, but what if he doesn't go?"

"Woah, calm down," Jack said, placing his hands on her shoulders to try to get her to relax.

"It's his father, Jack," Astrid said with tears brimming her eyes. "It will break Hiccup's heart if his father doesn't do anything."

Jack smiled sadly. "The sad part is, I think Hiccup is starting to get used to that. As long as you are there to care for him, I won't be as reluctant to leave him here."

Astrid nodded, taking a deep breath and wiping the stray tears off of her face. "So what are we going to do if Hiccup's father doesn't help him?"

"Do you know if Hiccup will be there at the empty lot?"

Astrid shrugged. "I don't know. I would think so since they want to exchange."

"Then we just have to scare them all away and maybe they will forget Hiccup and leave him," Jack said.