Chapter 11

Hiccup sat silently in the cell for what seemed like more than three days. He barely slept and his shoulder still pulsed in slight pain. He slowly passed the time away by drawing small pictures in the dirt. He found himself often drawing Jack. He was in the middle of one when a loud creaking noise made Hiccup jump.

Dagur had opened the door to his cell. "Time to go."

Hiccup scrambled to his feet and walked over to the lunatic.

"Oh, and don't try to run or the next dagger won't hit your shoulder," Dagur threatened, still twirling a small knife in his hand as if Hiccup didn't know he carried them. Dagur shoved Hiccup to continue walking. "Hurry up."

Hiccup silently walked, not doubting anymore that the smallest word might get him hurt. Not like it mattered since Hiccup knew he was going to die anyway.

When they got outside, Hiccup saw three carriages. Dagur pushed Hiccup into one of them and then climbed in after him. Hiccup looked out the window and saw other men pile into the other two carriages, probably for backup.

The carriage lurched to a start. Hiccup stared out the window, the rocking of the carriage slowly putting him to sleep.

xxx

Astrid paced around. They were hours early at the location the exchange was supposed to take place.

"Everyone is in their positions," Jack said, walking up. He looked up at the darkening sky. "I'm glad they didn't want to do this in the day time."

"How are you not freaking out?" Astrid asked frustrated.

"Oh, I am," Jack admitted. "I can just control it better than you."

Astrid glared but continued to pace. As the hours ticked by, Astrid grew more frustrated. "Hiccup's father should be here!"

Jack frowned. "I know. But we knew he probably wouldn't come."

"I was still hoping he would," Astrid spat, crossing her arms.

Jack sighed. "I should go now. We don't want them to see me when they pull up. Don't worry, I'll be watching and making sure nothing goes wrong."

Astrid nodded and watched as Jack disappeared in the darkness.

"Jack, this is beyond stupid," North said as Jack walked up.

"It's the only thing I can think of, North," Jack said. "I can't just let Hiccup die. And everybody is having a great time getting out in the fresh air for a little bit."

"You realize we can't physically hurt anyone living," North said. "It's a rule of the dead."

"I know, I know," Jack said. "I'm hoping scaring them will be enough." Jack crouched down as close as he could without being seen. Unless they knew exactly where to look, Jack was confident he was hidden. He could see Astrid still pacing around. She was nervous and Jack knew that she should be. It was going to be her acting that will either make or break the idea of the dead suddenly rising.

Astrid suddenly froze as three carriages rolled into sight. She picked up a bag from the ground that was filled with paper to look like she had brought money and took a deep breath. She took a quick glance around, still wishing Hiccup's father would show up with real money.

The carriages stopped, an eerie silence falling over them. Astrid clutched the bag as if it was a lifeline.

Dagur hopped out of the first carriage. "Who are you?" Dagur asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"A friend," Astrid said strongly. If she was good at anything it was not acting afraid even though her heart felt like it was going to beat out of her chest. She watched as other men exited the other carriages. Of course he would have brought others just in case. She just hoped it wouldn't matter.

"And you brought the money?" Dagur asked, his eyes falling on the bag.

Astrid nodded. "As long as you get your precious money it shouldn't matter from who, right?"

Dagur smiled. "You're right. So hand me the money."

"Where's Hiccup?" Astrid asked. "I'm not going to give this to you until I know he is okay."

"I'm offended," Dagur said in mock hurt. "I am nothing but a man of my word. He's alive."

"Show me," Astrid said with a glare.

Dagur smiled and reached into the carriage. Grabbing Hiccup by the arm, the boy was rudely awakened as he was tossed to the ground.

"Hiccup!" Astrid shouted, staring at the dried blood that covered the boy's shoulder.

"Astrid?" Hiccup asked a little groggily. "Astrid! What are you doing here?!" he shouted as he started to wake up and remember what was going on.

"There, see? Though I admit he isn't in the best condition he's still perfectly alive," Dagur said with a grin.

"Um, Sir?" one of the henchmen said to Dagur.

"Not now, idiot!" Dagur yelled without even looking behind him.

Astrid stared with wide eyes.

Dagur laughed. "What's the matter, little girl? Finally understanding the situation you're in? If I really wanted to, I could kill you both and steal the money."

"Dagur..?"

"I thought I said to shut up!" Dagur yelled just as a hand grabbed his shoulder. He glared and grabbed the hand, twisting it. A crack sounded from the wrist and Dagur stared in shock as he now held a disembodied skeleton hand. He slowly turned his head to face a skeleton that still had bits of flesh hanging from the bone.

Dagur let out a scream of shock and backed away. "What the hell is this?!"

Hiccup propped himself on his elbows and tried not to show the relief on his face as he recognized many of the people from the tavern slowly emerging from the shadows.

Astrid backed away and screamed as they came closer. Slowly, the dead seemed to separate Astrid from the other group.

"I-I think we should leave," one of the men said as the horses started whining.

"Don't be cowards!" Dagur yelled, taking out his sword. "We fight! Not run!" He swung his blade at the neck of the now one-handed skeleton, decapitating it completely. Dagur's laugh was cut short as it seemed to not faze the walking dead. It just kept walking towards him. Dagur looked around as they were slowly being surrounded by them. Hiccup wished he could blend into the ground, hoping the situation would distract Dagur enough to forget about him.

"Fine," Dagur growled. He reached down and picked Hiccup by the hair. "Guess we will try again another day." Hiccup flinched and tried to pull away but Dagur easily threw him back in the carriage. Dagur jumped back in and hit the top of the carriage so the driver could hear. "Hurry up and get us out of here!"

Hiccup heard the cracks of the whips and the horses quickly galloped away from the lot filled with the creatures.

"Hiccup!" Astrid yelled, watching in horror as the carriages sped away. "It didn't work! All of this and it didn't work!" Astrid screamed, throwing the bag to the ground. She looked around at all of the dead faces staring at her. "Jack?" she asked, trying to find his face in the crowd. Astrid walked through the lot, almost tripping on a guy sitting on the ground in the fetal position.

"Don't kill me!" the man cried, not even looking up.

Astrid looked at him confused. He was in a suit and didn't look anything like the thugs Dagur had brought with him. The man looked up slowly and looked around very confused on why everyone was just standing there. Astrid's eyes widened in realization. She recognized who he was.

He was the driver of Dagur's carriage.

Yet he was here. And the carriage took off.

Astrid found herself laughing, not knowing whether to be relieved or even more worried. She stared at the direction the carriages disappeared him. "Jack," Astrid sighed.

A/N: hehe, you couldn't expect Jack to just let them get away could you? You don't take his Hiccup away! :)