Chapter 4

Hiccup wanted to cry from relief as he crossed over the bridge and into town. It was late, and he had no idea how much time had passed. Was it the same night or the night after? He ran towards the Hofferson's house since it was closer. His father would be there if it was the same night. He stumbled towards the house and didn't notice someone walk passed and he bumped into them.

"Sorry!" Hiccup said, looking over at the person he had run into.

"Hiccup!"

"Astrid?"

"Oh thank Thor you're alright!" Astrid said, wrapping her arms around Hiccup.

Hiccup looked at her confused. "You're happy I'm okay?"

"Of course! I've been looking for you! I thought it was what I said that made you run away," Astrid said, looking at the ground sadly. "I didn't mean to drive you away."

"No, it wasn't you!" Hiccup assured, putting his hands on her shoulder.

"Oh," Astrid said, looking relieved. "I wouldn't have been able to handle knowing I was the one who made you run away. Where did you go anyway?"

"It's a long story," Hiccup sighed. "Do you know where my father is?"

Astrid frowned. "Well, after you didn't show up the next day, he headed home."

"He headed home? Just like that, after one day?"

"You went into the forest, Hiccup. Not many people make it back out of there. We thought you got mauled by a bear or something," Astrid said with a shrug. "He said something about making your cousin the heir to the town."

"Snotlout? Of course," Hiccup sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Look, I admit that I wasn't that excited for our wedding when I first saw you," Astrid said. "But after thinking about it, I could have a worst suitor. Maybe we could give this wedding a chance."

Hiccup smiled. "That was almost sweet."

"Shut up, I'm trying," Astrid said, punching Hiccup in the arm.

"Ow! It can't always be like this," Hiccup laughed.

"Get used to it," Astrid smiled, grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him into a kiss.

Hiccup almost forgot about the situation. Almost. That was until out of the corner of his eye he saw Jack walking up. Hiccup quickly pulled away. "Oh no."

"What?" Astrid asked, looking back at what Hiccup was staring at. She gasped. "What the..."

Jack 's glare towards Astrid told Hiccup that he had seen the kiss. Jack stepped in between the two of them. "And what is going on here?" Jack asked, crossing his arms.

"Um, Hiccup, who is this?" Astrid asked. "It's not Halloween yet, buddy."

"I am his fiancé," Jack said sternly, showing the ring on his finger.

Astrid looked at him in shock. "What?"

"Astrid, let me explain," Hiccup said in a panic.

"What is there to explain? You gave me this ring," Jack said, grabbing Hiccup's arm. "I think it's about time we get back."

"Wait! Astrid, you don't understand," Hiccup said as the wind started to pick up.

"You cheated on me? With a guy? What the hell?" Astrid said.

"That isn't how it happened, please just listen real quick-"

"I can't believe it. With a guy?" Astrid continued almost to herself, not paying attention to what Hiccup was trying to say.