Chapter 16

Janelle

It's been a month here in Chicago, and I love it. I'm at peace with myself. I'm in a better state of mind and I feel secure  I guess. I found a steady job, I work at a tell sporting office near home. It pays good. I won't complain. Leaving the office, I got a call from Rodkevious. I rolled my eyes and pressed ignore, I only communicated with Rod in reference to Italy. What the fuck is there to negotiate about?

"Sorry I'm late Diane"! I apologized greatly to the daycare worker. I take Italy to tiny tots every morning before work, but today went longer than what I expected. "It's fine Janelle, I don't mind keeping little Italy longer than what I have to she's no trouble." She complimented. I smiled at her and gathered Italy's things. "Come on baby". I said extended an open hand so Italy could grab it. Her tiny hand gripped around my first two fingers and stumbled slowly behind me. "Thanks Diane"! I thanked her once more  before leaving.

I opened the front door to my apartment and switched on the light. I threw down the heels I carried and plopped down on the sofa. I looked down at my phone and noticed a few texts. A couple from Rod, one from Pam and another from Lashay.

I don't to say to Rodkevious. We have nothing to communicate about. I unlocked my phone and examined each text.

Pamella

Hey? Talk to Rod? How's Italy? & call me when you get this text. Love you honey!

I smiled at the text, responded and looked at the others.

Baby's father

I miss you😪
I love you!
How's Italy?
I'll come to see you soon!

Me
-she's fine! & I rather you not!

I knew he'd respond quickly but I cared not to respond. I looked at Lashay's text. Club tonight? I laughed at her text and responded. Why not go out enjoy myself tonight. Maybe this would be something fun to do with my bestfriend to get my mind off of things. It was around 8 and I knew she'd want to go around 9. I dressed myself and Italy and headed to Lashay's. Jaydin was going to watch her for me tonight. Lashay looked good. She was truly a bad bitch. He curves insinuated her outfit perfectly. And her long wand curled hair swayed effortlessly.

"You look good girl"! I complimented her. "Thanks girl"! She said getting in. This is just like old times. "It's been so long since we've ACTUALLY hung out"! She said. "Girl I know with this shit with Rod, Italy, and work, I rarely have time"! I explained.
"How is he, have you all talked"? She questioned concerned. I sighed. "No, not in that level, we only communicate if it has anything in regards to Italy. Now don't get me wrong he tries to apologize over and over, but honestly Shay I don't wanna hear that shit. I've loved that man with my all even back in the day when he didn't pay attention to me when I was some fat bitch straight out the foster home"! I said. I reminisced on the times I used to have with Rod when I felt like I was the inky girl to ever have his full attention.

"It makes me think, like damn, was I not enough for you? Was I becoming unattractive to you? Was the sex getting boring? Where you just had to up and go cheat on me the way you did".

"Girl no, and you don't need to blame for yourself for his dumb ass! Rod has always been an asshole him and his tag-a-long bestfriend Terrence". She said sounding disgusted by mentioning the two of them.

"But he was my asshole Shay"! I said. I was becoming sad and La'Shay could tell. "Uh huh bitch, we going to the club tonight I ain't been out in a while and so haven't you we ain't finna be on no sad shit, we to grown, we to fine and you to single to be crying over no nigga who didn't realize your worth"! I chuckled at her seriousness. Shay was a character and I missed her so much. It felt great to have somebody who was there for me and made me laugh. She was my support system when no one else was.