Chapter Eighteen

Luna leaned against Eclipse as she stood up for the first time since she had been shot. Days since then had passed with Eclipse and Misty doing all of the hunting for small prey, and Luna decided that it was time for that to change.
Her leg stung as she wobbled to stay upright, and her eyes watered, but somehow she managed to stand.
"Are you doing okay?" Eclipse asked, his voice hushed.
"I'm fine," she whispered.
She looked over to see Misty trying to help Timber up, and she watched sympathetically as he flinched and whimpered when the pain overtook him.
"Why would any creature do this to us? Why wouldn't they just kill us on the spot?" Eclipse growled under his breath.
Luna glanced back at him, a serious glint in her eye.
"I think that was the creature's intent."
Eclipse nodded in a grave manner.
"Then I'm glad it failed."
Luna sighed and leaned against him heavily. She hated being dependent, but at that moment it couldn't be helped.
She heard Timber yelp and she saw him flop to the ground. He rolled back up and shook his fur.
"Why is this so hard?!" he cried.
Misty looked down at him with tears in her eyes.
"I'm so sorry, Timber, but I'm not sure what else I can do to help you."
"I know."
He looked up at her and smiled weakly to pretend everything was okay. Then he wobbled to his paws again, his injured shoulder drooping noticeably. After a few moments standing he tried to take a step forward, and Luna could immediately see that he was lame in the leg under his injured shoulder.
At least she was confident her injury would fully heal.
She tried taking some steps forward herself, and she was surprised to find that she could walk... if she kept most of the pressure off of her leg.
Eclipse stayed by her just in case she needed support, and occasionally she would lean on him. Eventually she got so tired that she sunk back down to the ground, her eyes half-closed and her ears down.
Eclipse laid by her side and licked the side of her muzzle.
"I'm proud of you," he whispered.
Luna growled happily and glanced back over at Timber and Misty.
He was panting with the effort, but he managed to put weight on the leg below his injured shoulder.
"You've got it, Timber," Eclipse encouraged, his low voice soft and comforting.
Timber tried to grin through the pain, but Luna could tell he was struggling.
"You can lay down, Timber. It's okay," she said.
He shook his head, and tried to take a few steps forward.
"I'm not... laying down... until I walk."
He whimpered and Misty nudged his face with her muzzle.
"Please don't push yourself."
He looked over at her quickly before looking at his paws.
"I've got to try. I must provide for the pack."
He took tentative steps forward and he grimaced, but he was able to walk a few steps. He smiled wearily and sunk back to the ground next to Luna and Eclipse. Misty joined him and soon they were all in a warm huddle side-by-side.
Luna felt Timber curl into her side, but she didn't flinch away. She felt comfortable with him there, and she knew he was in pain. Soon she could hear him snoring in a fitful sleep, and Misty looked over at Luna with a concerned expression.
"Do you think he'll be okay?" she whispered.
Luna stared at her for a few moments before saying anything.
"I'm not sure. His leg looks like it's lame now, so he won't be very good at hunting anymore. I'm sure he'll find a way to manage, somehow..."
"But he is one of the greatest runners I know," Misty growled quietly, "and he's very proud of that."
Luna looked her in the eyes, and she could see the tears forming in them.
"Then I hope for his sake that his shoulder heals properly, so that he can run with that leg again."
Misty nodded slowly, and silently inspected the sleeping wolf.
"I hope he gets better. If I could take the pain away, I would. He knows that."
Eclipse moved next to Luna, and she could feel him looking hard at Misty.
"You love him, don't you?"
Misty started a little at this, her kind brown eyes widening in surprise.
"I... yes... I love him."
Timber twitched in his sleep.
"What does that have to do with anything?" Misty asked.
Eclipse continued to keep his eyes on her.
"I've just noticed how cozy you two were around each other, and I wanted to make sure that you weren't doing anything you weren't allowed to do."
Luna looked over at him, confused at the off-hand comment.
"I want to make sure that you remember pack procedure,"
Eclipse continued, "You can only mate and have pups if the Alphas give permission, and we haven't given our consent."
Misty's mouth parted as she stared back at him.
"Of course, Eclipse!" she spluttered, "We haven't... we wouldn't... we know the rules..."
"I understand. I was just making sure you remembered."
Luna glanced at Misty, then she looked away. She knew Eclipse was right. Submissive wolves shouldn't mate and have pups in a pack, and if they did they would have to have the Alphas' consent.
"No one is going to be having pups this year," Misty said, slowly regaining her composure, "Certainly not me."
Eclipse nodded and laid his head on his paws. Luna laid against him and Timber sprawled out flat on the ground, fast asleep.
Misty looked at Timber again, then she curled against him and laid her head on his stomach. He growled softly in his sleep, and Misty murmured softly to him,
"Everything's going to be okay."