Chapter Twenty-Three

As the pack walked back to the denning site, Eclipse peppered the two newcomers with many questions about Drakk and his pack. At first they were hesitant to talk. Then Eclipse flashed the scar on his face and the scars all over his body.
"Drakk and I had a little scrape years ago. Didn't you ever wonder why he had that ugly scar across his face?"
They both gawked at him and he chuckled to himself.
"Yes, that's right. I gave him that scar when I was young. I only wish that I could see him now to finish what he started years ago," he growled.
Redwood and Maple looked at each other dubiously.
"So who exactly was in your pack when you left?" he asked.
"Well, there were the sons and daughters of Drakk, his many mates [he's an odd wolf... prefers harems instead of one loyal mate], a few wolves about his age who weren't directly related to him, and some other young wolves like us. Maybe a new wolf here and there from a pack takeover," Maple said.
"Did you ever see two black female wolves?" he pressed.
Maple looked thoughtfully up at the trees.
"I'm not sure... I think when we were young pups there were two females that left..."
"What were their names? Where did they go?"
Eclipse wagged his tail anxiously, his eyes gleaming with excitement.
My sisters escaped! They might still be alive! Somewhere...
"We're not sure," Redwood cut in," Like my sister said, we were young pups when they left."
Eclipse stopped himself from getting too hopeful. It was too convenient that they would know exactly where his sisters were.
"Although... I do believe that I heard of a strange pack with two female alphas and their mates. It was news from Drakk's scouts, and I remember it because it seemed so odd at the time," Maple said.
"Did you ever hear anything else from Drakk's scouts that sounded interesting?" Luna asked suddenly.
Eclipse gave her a sidelong glance, but she ignored him.
"Well, most of it was just news of other packs and territories... or it was about prey or something like that. That's all," Redwood said.
"Did they ever mention white wolves like me?"
Redwood and Maple exchanged another glance.
"Uhh... well, yeah... but I doubt it had anything to do with you," he said briskly.
Luna narrowed her eyes.
They're not giving me the whole truth.
"What do you know that you're not telling me?"
Redwood avoided her eyes as he searched for a reply.
"Drakk- Drakk has a thing for takeovers. You know that. We told you that, and I'm sure your mate did, too. When we were just starting to learn how to hunt, we learned of one of those takeovers. It was on a small pack of white wolves, presumably like yourself."
"What happened to them?"
Redwood hung his head and Maple shifted anxiously.
"Most of them died in the attack."
Luna stared at them in shock.
That was probably my pack... My family. How could they be dead?
"You said most?"
It took all she had to keep her voice from shaking.
"We heard a rumor that a male had escaped. He wasn't the Alpha, but they think he was related somehow," said Maple.
At this Luna perked up slightly.
Could it be my brother? Could he possibly still be alive?
"Is that all you heard?"
"Yes. I can't think of anything else at the moment, at least."
For a wild moment she thought about leaving and searching for her brother.
Maybe he'll forgive me. He needs family after something so tragic.
Then she glanced over at Eclipse and their pack, and a wave of guilt washed over her.
I can't just leave them behind to find my brother. I left him years ago. Besides, he might be dead. It's not worth it.
She could see Eclipse was having the same thought about his sisters, and deep down she knew that he came to the same conclusion. Perhaps one day they could search for them together.
Now they had to focus on their pack.
"I'm glad you told me," said Luna quietly.
"Of course, Alpha."
Maple and Redwood grinned. Maybe they would fit in after all.

Finally they arrived at the den, and the
duo immediately expressed their approval.
"It's perfect. Especially for a first den," Maple exclaimed.
"Yeah. What was this before? A fox den?" Redwood asked, inspecting the cozy little hole in the ground.
"It was, actually," Eclipse said, coming up next to him, "You have a good eye for detail."
"Why, thank you."
Misty trotted over with a grin on her face, yet Eclipse noticed that she kept a safe distance from the newcomers. He couldn't blame her.
"I helped Luna find this den site. She's the one who found it really, but I still helped her out," she said proudly.
Eclipse shook his head and chuckled to himself. He knew Misty was smart, yet somehow she could still act so air-headed. It was almost a talent.
"It's a fantastic site," Redwood complimented.
Misty's grin widened and suddenly Timber was by her side.
"I think we got off on the wrong paw," Timber said, looking the new male in the eye, "I was just a little on edge before for obvious reasons."
"I can't really blame you. You were protecting your pack. I get it."
Eclipse could still feel the tension between the two males. Even he felt his nerves twitching on end.
Misty felt it, too.
"I'm glad we're all starting off fresh. I wouldn't have wanted any fighting amongst ourselves," she said, giving a pointed look at Timber.
"Of course not," Redwood replied good-naturedly, "there's no need to fight now."
Timber nuzzled Misty's head, keeping an eye on Redwood the entire time.
"Yes, of course not," he muttered.
Eclipse could immediately read the look in his eye.
She is mine. I'm higher in rank than you are, so watch your step. Back off.
Eclipse was honestly proud that Timber was finally showing a bit of fire in him. He had a feeling that things would still work themselves out.
And, maybe one day, my sisters might join us.
The thought made him giddy, but he kept his composure.
"It's been an eventful day. We should all get some rest," Luna said as she came up beside him. He licked her cheek and whimpered softly in her ear.
She nuzzled him in return as the other wolves found places to catch some shut-eye. Eventually they all found comfortable places in the grass and dirt. Soon they drifted off into a deep, peaceful sleep.