Chapter 1 - Don't Panic

I wake up with the sound of thunder echoing around my room. I had left my window open last night to let the cool breeze in. It had gotten really warm out recently and although I was a werewolf and didn't get cold, I did get hot.

                I glance at my open window that was letting all the rain inside. It was no use getting up to close the window. It was only water after all and nothing besides the curtains and floor were getting wet.

                Rolling onto my back and settling into my covers again, I thought about the move I was about to make in the morning. I was tired of living in the pack I was born into. My parents had died several years ago and since then, I just haven't felt like I belonged in the pack. I was willing to go rogue to ease my mind. Not having a mate yet, helped make my decision easier as well.

                Looking at the clock on my dresser, I ran my hand through my kinky hair. Well, I tried to at least, groaning when my finger had gotten caught in one of my curls. I had a few more hours until daylight when I would leave quietly and peacefully.

                I crawled out of my bed and stripped out of my t-shirt and underwear. I stood in front of my wall length mirror, running my hands over my succulent flesh and curves. My hair had gotten so long that now it covered my breasts as I stood naked, switching poses. I smiled as I circled my arms around my cocoa colored tummy.

                Inside my bathroom, I turned on my shower waiting for the water to get warm. Once it was hot enough, I stepped inside and let the water relax my muscles. I tried to forget about everything that happened the day before with my now ex-best friend.

                It saddened me that he was upset that I decided to leave the pack. He hasn't found his mate either, which I think is because our pack is so secluded from everyone. It would help him to explore, but he refuse to step outside the pack boundary lines. He is the next Beta in line when Alpha Jordan decides to step down and hand over the pack to his son, Devin.  My best friend, Byson, Devin and I grew up together and became very close. Devin didn't agree with me leaving either, but he understood more why I was leaving to live peacefully without a pack.

                Everybody knows I grew up without my parents. They died shortly after I was born. Before I was conceived, word was that my parents volunteered to go to Africa after hearing there were a few packs of werewolves in isolation needing protection and resources. While on their trip, I was conceived and several months later born abroad in Africa. No one knows exactly what happened, but a meeting went sour and before they were killed, they had made quick arrangements for me to be sent back to their pack. Our Alpha had gotten my name changed, because I was technically not a citizen of the states. I was in fact a native of Africa.

                Alpha Jordan had let me keep a few of my parents things before he burned the rest. He feared whoever killed them may come looking for the pack they were a part of. So, he felt it was best to burn any evidence they lived here.  I had a few pictures of them, including their wedding picture. My father had been Middle Eastern and my mother was Jamaican. He had curly long hair, while my mother had short kinky hair. My father had been tall, dimples, with a suave look to him. He looked as if he charmed all the ladies in his day. My mother was average height with big hips, big breast, and full lips. She had big brown doe eyes and flawless chocolate skin. In almost every picture of them I own, her hair was always wild, free, and curly; the same way I wear my hair now.

                I smiled thinking of them, as I turned the water off. I wrapped a towel around my head, not bothering drying off my body. I walked into my room, instantly noticing the rain had stopped. The silence was deafening as I slid on my underwear, opting out of wearing a bra since no one will be seeing me today. I pulled on my denim shorts and an old Bob Marley shirt that Byson had gotten me several years ago. I shrugged as my nipples poked through my shirt making it obvious I wasn't wearing a bra. Maybe you should put one on then, said my wolf. I smirked as I ignored my wolf, Rayne.