Erika Raleigh

This chapter was complete crap so thank God I am getting around to editing it.

The story line was super cliche and just generally cringey, so I'm going to try to keep the basics but make it a little more original.

Hope this is better than it was!

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

  Popularity comes at a price. Whether it's stereo types, grades, number of followers, or personality, everyone has their expectations, and sometimes that isn't a good thing.

However, popularity comes with a few advantages too. For instance, guaranteed votes for Prom Queen. Prom Queen is my ultimate goal in life at this point. Well, that and scoring my dream guy.

I already have loads of friends, I already have a well-paying job, I've already been accepted to college, and I already know what I'm going to do with my life.

The one thing I don't have is the Prom Queen crown and king to go with it. I am determined to get both this year. My senior year. My last chance.

Last year I lost to stupid Beatrice Prior who apparently had the same stupid name as some stupid book character. All of the book nerds banded together and voted for her. Apparently there are a lot of bookworms at my school. (Bookworms Unite!)

Stupid bookworms.

So this year, I stepped up my game. I started campaigning early. I joined as many clubs and sports teams as I could and made sure to guarantee the votes of my teammates. I participated in community service and handed out lunches on the weekends to all the elders, immediately scoring the votes of their grandkids. I reconciled with my enemies and got people to turn on those I couldn't reconcile with.

I even made friends with the stupid bookworms. Turns out, some of the bookworms aren't that stupid. I'd even consider one of them a friend of mine.

Annabeth Chase does not look like a bookworm. She looks like a real queen. She's gorgeous and smart and kind. It's a good thing she's a bookworm, otherwise she could threaten my social status and my crown.

At first, I had no interest in actually becoming friends with the bookworms. I mean, I haven't touched a book in ages and I really didn't want them to expect me to read. (I know, I was insulted too)

Annabeth, however, didn't really expect anything of me. She was fairly new and didn't actually know many people. Including me. I was slightly insulted that my social prowess had not yet been informed to Annabeth.

The more I got to know her, the more I liked her. Soon we were hanging out at coffee shops where she would help me study for a test and we would talk about teachers or students.

Annabeth talked about her disappointment with the teachers' knowledge and style of teaching. I complained about my disappointment in the student population and their fashion choices.

We had our differences, but she was a nice aqquantaince. She was pretty cool, if not a bit shy. She didn't really do much socializing, but that was okay, because she could be considered competition if more people knew she existed.

In attempt to keep my grades up (therein securing a reputation for the wisdom which a queen possesses), Annabeth and I meet at the local coffee shop which always smelled like sweet cream and bitter coffee beans, and provided a relaxing place to stress over school.

We had been doing this for a few weeks now, and today was like any other session. At least, for a while.

In the middle of a conversation about the difference between parallel and series circuits, Annabeth's phone rings to the tune of Nickelback.

The smile that spreads across her face when she looks at the screen tells me she isnt completely upset by the interruption. "Hey, Seaweed Brain."

Annabeth paused for a few seconds to listen to the person on the other side of the call, giving me a moment to ponder the nickname. Seaweed Brain?

What?

"Percy, you promised you would be home in time to marathon The Lord of the Rings with me!"

This time, I could hear a murmuring from her phone as 'Percy' tried to explain why he would be late in a rushed tone.

Annabeth rolls her eyes in annoyance, but still bites her lip like she's worried. "Then kill the damn thing and get home. I'm almost done here. If you die before we get to have that marathon, I will be seriously pissed."

Her eyebrows scrunch together as the frantic voice continues his explanation.

"Fine. Meet me at our coffee shop. We'll go home together from here."
She hangs up and immediately jumps back into the rules of a parallel circuit, not even offering an explanation for her conversation which included mentions of death and killing something.

Despite the weird conversation, the next few minutes of studying went by quickly, and I only zoned out a few times.

In the middle of a daydream about dancing with my Dream Guy after winning Prom Queen, Annabeth jumped from her place at our table and walked out the door of the coffee shop, the ringing bell hanging over the door being the only sound she makes.

Flabergasted, I stand up with the intention of telling her off for ditching me, but stop in my tracks when I spot the person she is heading towards.

Speaking of Dream Guy...

Tall, dark and handsome. With very nice biceps.

Those arms would hold me perfectly during our dance as King and Queen. His broad shoulders would be wonderful to lean my head against.
His hips would be--

Annabeth just kissed him. That's her boyfriend. My Dream Guy is her boyfriend. Naturally.

And suddenly, Annabeth becomes competition.

They talk outside for a moment, and then she drags him inside the shop and pulls him towards me.

My natural instinct is to stick my hip out and maybe pull out some lipstick, but I don't have time for any of this as I focus on trying to control the glare I want to send at Annabeth.

"Erika, this is my boyfriend, Percy. Percy, this is Erika, the girl I've been tutoring." Percy nods but keeps his gaze on Annabeth.

"Anyways, Erika, sorry to run out on you, but my boyfriend promised me a Lord of the Rings marathon and I intend on making him keep that promise despite his complaints.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow, I hope you do good on your test." Annabeth sends me a smile that doesn't feel completely real and looks to Percy.

Percy gathers her stuff from the table, not even sparing me a glance, and Annabeth loops her arm through his and leads him out of the little shop.

As I watch them walk down the street together, I decide that I can't blacklist Annabeth just yet.

I need to figure out if Percy has a brother...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Well it's been a while.

Sorry. I kinda gave up on this book for a while because I really wanted to focus on my relationship with God.

But I'm back! Might update again soon. Not sure if it will be a new chapter or an edited chapter, but hopefully that will be up soon.

Hope you guys have been hanging in there! Isaiah 41:10 is where I found my inspiration to keep going. Hope you can find something in it as well.

With all my love,
Dawn