The Pain of the Past

❌TRIGGER WARNING❌
This chapter contains mentions (non-descriptive) of abuse, domestic violence, and the after effects on the victims of these types of situations.

Please continue with caution.

*Note: there are resources at the end of this chapter if you or a loved one needs help.

-•-

I've kind of been toying with the idea of this secret insecurity of Percy's about the after effects of the abuse he suffered from Gabe.

I wanted to turn it into a chapter not only to bring a new side of Percabeth we haven't really seen in this book, but to also raise awareness of situations of abuse and the victims.

Hope you guys enjoy. ❤

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Annabeth couldn't even remember why they had started arguing.

They had been in the car too long without a break, and Annabeth's patience had been running thin. She wasn't alone in her struggles, and Percy could feel the weight of the day as they watched the sun go down through their windshield.

Percy had said something without thinking- something neither of them could remember now- and Annabeth reacted with more malice than she had intended.

While the sunlight dimmed, their argument had ignited and traveled into territory it shouldn't have.

At some point, Percy had aggressively thrown his hand into his hair to relieve the building pressure, and Annabeth flinched away, as if his hand was intended for her.

Silence consumed the air between them, and Annabeth immediately regretted flinching away. She knew in her bones that Percy would never lay a hand on her, and yet she had flinched like that was exactly what she expected him to do.

She knew what the impact of that tiny gesture would be, and she was terrified for Percy, and disappointed in herself for reacting the way she did.

She didn't think she had ever seen him look so hurt. She wasn't sure what to say or do, and Percy kept his eyes on the road in front of them.

His shoulders were tense and his knuckles were white from gripping the steering wheel. Annabeth felt the emotions crawling up her throat as she watched the love of her life wage a battle within himself because of her split second reaction.

Just as Annabeth opened her mouth to apologize, plead for forgiveness, and tell him that she knew he wasnt capable of hurting her, Percy pulled off of the highway and stiffly but gently open his door.

She watched him walk around the front of the car taking heavy breaths. He stood with his arms crossed, facing the edge of the forest that towered over their car. He was barely illuminated by their headlights, but she could see his shoulders shaking with the tension that had built there.

Annabeth stepped out of the car consumed with guilt and regret. She stepped up to him with her arms wrapped around herself, her own shoulders shaking due to the chilly breeze that ruffled the branches around them.

"Percy--" she attempted, before being cut off by Percy, his voice thick with emotion.

"Did you really think that I would-- Because I would never-- I could never hurt you, Annabeth."

Annabeth took a shaky breath and stepped closer to him, but he still wouldn't look at her.

She tried not to let the panic building within her seep into her voice as she pleaded with him.
"I know you could never hurt me, Percy, I know it in my bones. I'm so sorry, I don't know why I reacted like that. You would never hurt me, I know that. Please believe that I know that!"