The Best Christmas

Annabeth was expecting a lot more from their first Christmas in the new apartment.

Annabeth wanted to go crazy this year. It was the first year she would have full reign to decorate for the holiday (because she obviously couldn't let Percy do it. He could barely match his socks.).

However, they had gotten a late start to moving in, and had only started bringing boxes over 2 weeks earlier. Their place was still a mess.

The T.V. was sitting on top of moving boxes, the couch was still wrapped in plastic, and the oven was on its side in the middle of the kitchen.

Annabeth had tried to do what she could for decorations. She found the cheapest tree she could and positioned it in front of a water-stained wall, bought a few winter-scented candles to cover the smell of mildew, and placed a plastic wreath on the thin front door.

The floor under the Christmas tree was bare. The costs of moving and paying all of the fees for the apartment had depleted most of their savings. What they did have left, they decided to save in case of emergency.

Percy and Annabeth had decided that the apartment would constitute as a Christmas gift, and there was no need to deplete their savings even further by buying more gifts than what they had purchased for their families.

Even so, looking at the empty floor beneath the tree and the miniscule decorations left Annabeth a little depressed the night before Christmas.

She sat silently on their little blue couch- which crinkled every time she shifted her weight- occasionally sipping hot chocolate which Percy had heated up for her. She was snuggled into one of Percy's hoodies, a small throw blanket lying across her waist as she stared blankly at the dark T.V. screen.

She heard footsteps from the hallway to her right, and looked up to see Percy coming towards her. He frowned when he saw her expression and took a seat next to her, so close their thighs were pressed together.

He grabbed one of the hands wrapped around her mug and twined their fingers together.
"You're not supposed to be sad on Christmas, Wise Girl."

She looked up and met his eyes. They held concern and apprehension, like he thought he could be the reason she was upset.

She laid her head on his shoulder, and he let go of her hand so he could wrap an arm around her.

"I just wanted this Christmas to be special," she admitted. "It's our first Christmas in our new home together, and I wanted it to be beautiful. I feel like I've failed."

Percy was silent for a moment, and she wondered if he had heard her. Finally he kissed her curls and held her tighter to him, speaking in a low voice full of sincerity.

"Annabeth, this Christmas is already special. We get to spend Christmas together in our home. I'm sitting here in the home I share with the love of my life, holding her in my arms. I don't need decorations or presents. This alone makes it the best Christmas ever."

This time it was Annabeth who was silent. Not knowing what to say, she leaned up and kissed him sweetly. His hand came up to stroke her cheek, and he turned his head, deepening the kiss.

By the time they pulled away- lips red and chests heaving- she was in his lap grasping his shirt and his hands were tangled in her hair.

She leaned her forehead against his and soaked up the moment, their kiss having already said everything she needed to say.

After a moment Percy stood with her in his arms and walked them into their bedroom.

......

Annabeth awoke to the sound of something clattering around in the kitchen.