Not safe anywhere

Jason's pov

The next day, I wake up and she's gone. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do so I figure I should just go with the usual routine. I get the girls up for school and they get ready so I go take a shower. I wish I could get to the bottom of this. I go get the newspaper. While I'm reading it, I have to jump back inside because someone shoots an arrow at me. Obviously the same jerk messing with me. I slam the door thoroughly pissed and call Miranda. "What's going on? You sound panicked." "I am. Whoever this is just shot an arrow at me!" "Ok don't leave your house, keep your door closed and locked til I get there." "Got it." I lock the doors and the girls come downstairs. "We aren't going anywhere right now." They both stare at me confused. "That guy after me is after me again so we're staying inside." The doorbell rings making me jump. "Open the door." Oh shoot. It's not her. "Not on my life pal." I gripe, reaching for my pistol. He laughs. I hear him run away. A few minutes later, she arrives. I tell her about the guy. "Don't worry. My task force is going to get here at like noon. It'll be okay." I sit on the couch exhausted. "I'm gonna make breakfast dad." Keely says, heading to the kitchen. I sigh, my head in my hands. "Wait, don't go in there!" Miranda cries, running. What's wrong with her going to the kitchen? She walks in there instead. Her gun drawn. Just for going in the kitchen. "Jason, come here." She calls so I do. Sitting on the stove, is a rose. My eyes go wide. Whoever this is has found a way inside my house!! "We need to get you and the girls out of here. It's not safe here." She says. "Agreed." I say, nodding. She calls someone on her phone and I tell the kids.

Miranda's pov

This is much more dangerous than I thought. I have my gun drawn as I walk to my van. I check it over and then Jason and the girls come out. "Where are we going?" He asks, buckling Kendyl in. "What did I say about asking questions?" "I have a right to know where I'm taking my kids!" I turn around. "What would happen if it was a coworker hunting you down and you let it slip where we were. It's safer if you didn't know." "But-" "You said you'd do whatever I say." He sighs. "You're right. I'm sorry." He says. I smile. "No need to be sorry. You're stressed and worried. But you called me because you trust me right?" He smiles and nods. "Then trust me when I say it's best if I only know where we're going." He nods. "You sure are good at this." I nod and we get in the van. "Ya know, you haven't changed s bit since school." He says. I shoot him a sidelong glance. "Remember business only." I warn. "I know. I just figured we could talk, pass the time ya know." "I'm good." I don't want to just talk. I'll end up saying things I've kept a secret. Maybe I should give this job to someone else. But he wants someone he trusts. I'm torn. I don't want these feelings to mess me up. We get to my uncle's old log cabin. It's back in the woods so hopefully they'll be safe. I look over and he's staring wide eyed at something on his phone. "What is it?" I ask. He hands me his phone and glances behind us. A text. It says nice countryside drive? I drop the phone shocked. "Hey Jason, you know how to shoot right?" He nods and moves his jacket revealing a pistol in the waistband of his jeans. "Keep an eye out. Anything that moves you shoot it, got it?" "Really? Isn't that a little-" "What did I say?!" I gripe, losing my patience. "Right. Sorry." He says, rolling down the window. "Don't apologize. Just stop questioning what I tell you." I drive very fast out of there. "Honey, we've got a problem." He says. Ugh why'd he call me that! "What is it?" "Stop!!" He cries. I hit the brakes. I spin around and see a barricade. "Jason, keep your head low and keep the girls quiet." He nods, looking terrified. "It's alright. I'll keep you safe." "Thanks." "No need to thank me. It's my job." He smiles and I jump out.

Jason's pov

She gets out of the van, instantly causing me to worry. She's risking her life for me and I hate it. "Ok girls, you can't make a sound." I say, quietly. They nod and Kendyl covers her eyes. She's so scared. My poor little girl. "Keely take care of Kendyl." I say, kissing her forehead. "And Kendyl be a brave little gal for daddy. It'll be okay. I promise." I kiss her forehead and get out, my pistol clutched tightly in my hand. She's leaning against the van. "What are you doing!?" She whisper screams. I press my back against the van, terrified. "This is not your job." I say. "Yes it is!" "No, I hired you to protect my girls and keep them safe. So you get your ass in the van and do what I hired you to do." "I'm going to catch this guy." I shake my head and open the door. "No, I couldn't live with myself if you got hurt because of me." She sits in the seat. "Don't you get killed." She says, hugging me. I drop my pistol in surprise. But I hug her back. I close the door and pick my gun back up. All is silent. I peer around the van and a bullet whizzes by. I shoot back behind the van. He's waiting for me.

Miranda's pov

I am not letting him do this. He's trying to prove he's manly and all that bullshit. I kick the door open. "Stop Jason!" I yell. "Get your butt in that van and let me do what I'm trained to do!" He looks reluctant. "What did I say about listening to me?" "God baby you make it so hard to be a man sometimes." "Don't call me that." His cheeks get fire red. "Whoops sorry wasn't thinking." He gets back in the van as do I. "Now hold on cowboy." "What do you-" I stomp on the gas with it in reverse. "Oh my God!" He cries, clamping down on his seat. The girls scream. He does too when we hit the barricade. The van flies in the air and he stares at me shocked and terrified. We hit the ground hard and I drive away fast. I feel a few bullets hit my bumper but then we're gone.