Don't give up on me

Jason's pov

I sit back on the hospital bed, pain gripping me in waves. "We still have to be careful. They're could be more than one person behind this." Miranda says, closing the door. I hug both my daughters. "You guys are okay right?" They both nod. Besides being scared to death, they're okay. Thank goodness. A cold feeling of dread spreads through my chest but I don't know why. I shakily stand up then hear the shattering of glass. Miranda and Luke are both staring wide eyed behind me. "You said they're after people I care about?" I ask, not even daring to turn around. She nods, staring at whatever it is behind me. "Then all of you need to get out of here. Get the girls somewhere safe." "But Jason, I can't leave you!" Tears are in her eyes again. "Baby you're gonna have to..... Keep the girls safe and don't die." She hugs me, crying on my shoulder.

Miranda's pov

"Only if you promise me the same thing." I whisper, looking up at him. He smiles down at me and reaches a shaking hand, putting it on my cheek. "You've got my word." He says then I hear a gunshot. His eyes go wide, a crimson stain spreading on his chest. Sobs rack my body. "Jason," I cry, shaking. He falls over, gripping his chest, his teeth grit in pain. He stares at me wide eyed. "I don't... Know.... If I can keep..... My promise." He whispers. "No, Jason, don't give up!" I cry. "You have to go. Please. Get somewhere safe. I love you." His eyes settle on Luke and I feel hands on my shoulders. "Come on." "G-Go with Luke. Keep them safe man." The gunman just stands there waiting. What's he waiting for?

Jason's pov

Luke clasps my hand, covered in blood. "You take good care of my girls, Luke. I'm counting on you." "You know it, man. Blood brothers?" I smile through the pain. "Forever. Now go. Get the hell out of here." He grabs her shoulders, pulling her fighting from the room. The gunman closes the door. "Ok ya got me. Now what?" He smiles. Why does he look so familiar? "I will find those girls." He hisses, grabbing my shirt, making pain shoot through me. "Not on my life pal." I growl, glaring hard at him. He chuckles. "Funny choice of words." Whatever! My vision is getting blurry. The door opens. "Nice try Jason. But I'm not leaving you." Shit. What's she doing here again? I can barely keep my eyes open. "Where's Luke.... And the girls?" I choke out. "They're safe, Jason. Don't worry." As a father, I am worried. But I can't stay awake anymore.

Miranda's pov

I stab the psycho with a tranquilizer. He grips his arm in protest but pretty soon falls to his knees. I hit mine beside Jason. "You are one stubborn cowboy." I mutter, shakily. I unbutton his shirt to see the bullet wound. I quickly get a first aid kit and patch him up the best I can. "Jason, open your eyes. You promised you wouldn't die." I whimper, panicking. Tears filling my eyes. "Please be okay!" He's still unconscious. At least he's breathing. I lay down beside him wishing he was awake.

*later*

Jason's pov

I force myself to open my eyes. Night has fallen. The man has been taken away and I've been moved back to the bed with her curled up beside me. "Babe?" She shoots up to a sitting position. "You're awake?!" I try to sit up but she won't let me. She's crying. My hand's shaking like crazy but I reach up and brush a tear from her cheek. "I'm awake. I'm okay baby." "I thought.... I thought I lost you." She whispers, staring back at me with those beautiful baby blues. "Kiss me, you foolish hard headed girl." She laughs and grabs my shirt, kissing me hard. My hand falls to my side in shock. That was one amazing kiss. I'm left breathless. I stare at her shocked and unable to say anything. "Don't die on me." She whispers laying back down beside me. "I won't. I made you a promise remember?" She smiles. "You better keep that promise, cowboy." She says, kissing my cheek. My eyes go wide, a soft smile settling on my face. That's my girl. I'll protect her from these guys. If it's the last thing I do, I'll keep her and the girls safe.