Too much to tolerate

Jason's pov

I wake up and Miranda's dressed in a suit and carrying a briefcase. I scratch my head confused. "Uh.... Honey what's.... Uh all this?" I gape. She gives me a duh look and I give her confused look while pouring milk into a bowl of cereal. "I gotta go work." She says it as if it's the easiest thing to understand. My eyes go wide, the jug of milk slipping from my hand. "Wait.... What?" "I have to get to work, Jason. I have a job and it's stopping those guys after you!" I quickly walk over. "What did I tell you? That ain't your job anymore! I don't want you getting hurt!" She rolls her eyes. "This is what I do! You can't change that!"

Miranda's pov

I walk to the door. "Please baby, I don't wanna worry about you!" I sigh. "You don't! I'm gonna be fine. I've done this for almost nine years!" He still looks worried. I open the door. "We're not discussing this Jason. I'm not quitting my job." I walk out, slamming the door. Why does he have to be so controlling!? "He's just worried about you." I spin around. "And he should be." My hands instinctively go to my gun. I hear the man's voice behind me. "No one is safe." He whispers. My pace quickens, feeling a hand on my shoulder. I grab his hand and flip him.

Jason's pov

I run to the door when I hear a guy's voice. I fling the door open in time to see her flip a dude over her shoulder. "Damn. That's hot." I whisper, shocked. "Who are you? And what the fuck do you want from us?!" She yells, a gun in his face.

Miranda's pov

Jason doesn't get it. I'm trained for these situations. He's not. "Jason, get your butt back inside." "No way! I let you risk your life enough for me. I can't stand it!" He's starting to really piss me off. "What did you agree to when I first answered your call?" I snap, steamed. "That has nothin' to do-" "Answer the damn question!" I yell. "That I'd do what you say but you're not-" "Then do it!" Then I feel my feet fall out beneath me as the guy scissorkicks me! Dammit! Jason distracted me! He catches me before I hit the ground but I lose my gun. He picks it up with an evil smirk. "You're gonna get us both killed you idiot!" Then I notice Jason has a pistol in his shirt sleeve. He helps me back to my feet. "I know what I'm doing." He says. The door behind us opens. His eyes go wide and he spins around, seeing Keely at the door. "Go back inside!" He gasps, quickly. I swipe the gun from his hand and shoot the guy in the leg. I hear her scream and the door slam. "You couldn't have waited til after she closed the door?" He grumbles. I glare at that stupid stubborn cowboy. "You wait you die." I say, annoyed. "Now pick him up. I'm gonna do some interrogating." Jason's about to when a bullet speeds through my arm! I scream in surprise and drop the weapon. Jason instantly grabs the gun from him and kicks him in the stomach. "You okay?" I nod even though the pain is unbearable. He sighs. "No you're not." "You get him tied up, I'll take care of this." I say, gesturing to my arm.

*a few minutes later*

Jason's pov

She walks downstairs into the basement where I have him tied up. Yet again she got hurt because of me! She also looks pissed. "I am getting really tired of you not listening to me!" Damn, she's mad at me. "I'm sorry hun, I just don't like seeing you put yourself in danger!" She shakes her head and walks over to us. "Who do you work for?" "He wouldn't talk. I tried already." She smiles. "I've got ways of making them talk. Now for once in your stubborn life, listen to me." I sigh and nod. "Get your girls and get outta the house. Somewhere very public where they won't attack. You don't want to be here when I interrogate him." That freaks me out. "What are you gonna do?" "Whatever I have to." "Alright." I go back upstairs. "Come on girls, we're going out." We pile in my truck and go to the hall of fame. Seems public enough. "I don't like Miranda. She's scary." Keely says, sticking close to me. "She's not scary. She's doing her job. She's trying to take care of the bad people after me." "That look in her eyes just freaks me out." She says. What? What look in her eyes? What's she talking about?

Miranda's pov

I pace the small room. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Your choice." I say. "I'll never tell you anything." He growls. I smile. "I was hoping you'd say that." I stick a knife to his throat. "I love this part of my job." His eyes widen. I set the knife down and pick up the hot curling iron, sticking it to his arm. He screams. "Now talk!" I yell. "No! I'll die before I do!" "That can be arranged." I punch him in the stomach and dig my fingers into the bullet wound in his knee. He screams some more.

Jason's pov

It's getting late. I text her asking if we can come home. I don't get anything so I drive us back home. I hear screaming! I run to the basement. "Are you.... Torturing him?!" "I'm trying to get answers outta him! What are you doing here?!" "The kids have school in the morning. It's late so I brought them home. I don't like this at all. Keely is afraid of you because of all this. And if she sees this... There's no telling what... This is gonna scar her for life!" "Which is why I said not to come home til I call you!" I am starting to doubt this.

Miranda's pov

He stomps back upstairs. "You may be badass but if you don't stop you're gonna lose him." I glare at him. "What are you talking about?" "You're pushing him to the breaking point. Who knew all we needed to do was get his crazy ex girlfriend here." "What? You're trying to drive him crazy?" I gape. He laughs. "No, we're trying to completely destroy him!" "Why?" I shout furious. "That's for us to know and you to never find out." I stomp upstairs, furious and frustrated. Jason's in his room, the girls in bed. I walk to his room. "I got something out of him." I say. "I don't approve of you torturing someone in my basement." He says. What the hell?! "I'm trying to get to the bottom of this! And why they're after you!" "I told you you're not doing that anymore! I'll get someone else!" "Whatever. I'm outta here then." "No! Wait! Don't leave! I just want you to be safe baby." I look up at him. "That's what I'm trying to do for you." He walks over and hugs me tight. "I'm just scared. You've been shot twice since you started hunting this guy. I don't want to lose you." My head rests against his chest. "Oh Jason, I love you." I gasp, looking him in the eyes. "I love you too, but I don't know how much longer I can keep this up." He drops his hands to his sides. Huh?! "J-Jason, k-keep what up?" He turns away and wipes his eyes. "Worrying if you're gonna live or die! In scared! It takes alot for a man to admit he's scared but I am. I'm scared you'll die because of this shit!" I should just leave. I can't do this either.

Jason's pov

She didn't say anything. I turn back around, confused. She's gone! "Baby!" I call. Silence. I run out into the night, the wind blowing my hair in my face. My heart nearly stops seeing taillights fading in the distance. She left.