Take one for the team

Miranda's pov

I wake up to the smell of bacon and hashbrowns. My mouth instantly starts watering. I stare at the ceiling in shock. I get up and go downstairs. The girls are eating and Jason's cooking. He smiles and turns around, pulling a chair out for me. "You should be more careful. You're a big target, doing this." I say, sitting down. "This fucker may be after me for whatever reason but he ain't gonna stop me from makin' breakfast for my family on a Saturday morning!" He snaps as I sit down. His cheeks get red when he realizes his mistake. He places a plate of bacon, hashbrowns, eggs, and breakfast sausage along with a glass of orange juice. "Thanks." He sits down with a plate for himself. "It's the least I can do." He replies, shrugging. We both jump out of our seats when we hear gunshots and screaming. We lock eyes and I pull out my gun. "Stay here." I order. "But-" "You promised, Jason. Now's the time to keep that promise." He stares at me terrified. "Please... Let me help you." I almost say yes but I can't. "Stay here. Keep the girls safe." I say, hugging him. He glances back at the girls, his stare hardening. "You can count on me." He says, nodding and clenching his fists in determination. I smile. "Good luck and stay safe soldier." He smiles and hugs me tight. "You too.... Please." I nod and runs out, the door thrown open. Standing there is a guy in a hockey mask. "Who are you and why are you trying to kill Jason?" I gasp, pointing my gun. He laughs. "I'm not trying to kill him. Just anyone he cares about." He hisses pointing his gun at me. My gun jams. My eyes go wide in shock. Crap. My hands shake with fear. He smiles. "See you in hell." He hisses. "No!!" Jason cries. I turn around. The gun goes off. I back up in surprise. Jason runs out and shoves me out of the way!! He hits the ground, a bullet in his side. He grips his side painfully and his teeth grit. The guy runs away. I hit my knees beside him terrified. "Jason, dammit, why don't you ever listen to me. He turns over onto his back, still clutching his side. "Why'd you take a bullet for me?" I whimper, tears falling. He opens his eyes, having trouble breathing. He smiles. "I'd take a bullet for you any day....... Because...... I love you." His head lays back and his eyes close. "Jason! Jason! No wake up!!" I scream, terrified. "Please Jason! Wake up!" I didn't get to tell him. I love you too.